Discuss Electricity from ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cmbcmb

Imagine the scene....
A small private college, somewhere in London.
For most, but not all of the year, 4 double tables sit together in a cluster in the middle of the classroom (but are liable to be moved around).
8 teenage students are using laptops.
They want to be able to plug laptops in to the mains, as they are too disorganized to ensure batteries are always fully charged.
Also all need to connect to an 8-port hub (or ethernet switch) which is connected to college network.
Obviously don't want leads trailing across to wall sockets or down to floor sockets.

PowerPole type thing (either bought or homemade) from ceiling would be too bulky as it will obscure some students' views of whiteboard.
Why can't I dangle a 2 metre 10-gang surge-protected extension lead onto the tables from a ceiling-mounted socket (inside flexible plastic cable conduit?), alongside network cable?
8 laptops plus the 8-port hub plug in to it.

I know extension leads are frowned upon (especially with 8 x earth leakage currents from switched mode power supplies in laptops), but what is difference between this and a Hangmann SM49007 hanging down?
Would it make any difference if 10-gang extension lead were to be permanently wired in to a fused spur; but I guess this ain't allowed.
What about something from Olson 13A_Standard_Range.pdf of "power distribution units".
Are these not just posh (and probably very expensive) extension leads?
Any advice on relevant regs would be much appreciated.

Thanks
ChrisB

16 amp lighting track mounted on ceiling with lead hanging off so they can be moved if needed?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

They need to hurry up and invent a cordless extension lead so PAT testing isnt hindered with a continuity test...

too technical for students. slate and chalk.

mek yer mark `ere....
`bring out yer ded`.......`bring out yer ded`...

images.jpg

oh aye...
and whats up with the fokker dr1?
turn in its own length will that....lol...
and if you don`t agree..its the twin spandau`s for ya...

FokkerLogo%20DanSan.jpg

Reply to Electricity from ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net