Discuss Electricity meter problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1- make sure your reading the correct meter, don't always trust the labelling if its in a meter cupboard / room.
2- make sure you've isolated everything
3- check yourself of somebody qualified to make sure someone isn't tapping off your supply in the cupboard.
4- contact supplier & explain the situation.

1- make sure your reading the correct meter, don't always trust the labelling if its in a meter cupboard / room.
2- make sure you've isolated everything
3- check yourself of somebody qualified to make sure someone isn't tapping off your supply in the cupboard.
4- contact supplier & explain the situation.
It’s the correct meter, new consumer unit installed from the tails off of the meter.
Everything is turned off in the flat and off in the fuse box.
No power coming out of the tails at the fuse box or meter.
Contacted supplier (SSC) via email and phone every other day for 10 days and the same response is we will be in contact to check the meter.
Edit: just had an email from the supplier wanting more details, first response from them, let’s hope the wheels of progress have started turning. I’ll keep you all informed in the hope it will help others.

Last edited:
He took out the fuse under the meter which I assume is the main fuse.
That would require removing the supplier's seal on the main fuse. Although we frequently find that this seal has mysteriously removed itself, you've posted a pic on here for the world to see, clearly showing the seal in place.
The whole set up should not have been touched until the meter problem is sorted.

That would require removing the supplier's seal on the main fuse. Although we frequently find that this seal has mysteriously removed itself, you've posted a pic on here for the world to see, clearly showing the seal in place.
The whole set up should not have been touched until the meter problem is sorted.
It's easy to say in hindsight, but the O/P needed the CU changing and the suspected current loss looked at.
He can prove the meter seals were intact when the pic was taken.
Imo no harm done.

Last edited:
Just to put a resolution to this post an SSC electrician came to fit a check meter yesterday, he was not concerned about the tag not being on the main fuse as he could see it was a new consumer unit.
I took 2 photos which are 24 hours apart, the check meter has not moved but the electricity meter has gone up once again. I feel this is enough proof that it is the meter at fault and hopefully I can get the bill nullified but that will be another bun fight I’m sure.
Thank you for all your input and suggestions this forum really helped me with this situation.

Reply to Electricity meter problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net