Discuss Elster AS230 GSM / WAN / LAN / PLC Single Phase Meter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know which companies provide monitoring services for the Elster AS230 Single Phase Meter?
How much do they cost for GSM / SIM access, for each data interval?
What SIM cards are required to access these services?
What software / hardware is required to read this meter via LAN / WAN?
Which companies provide these services?

We have the Passiv Energy Management System in - I'm not impressed. Backup wasn't good either - we were planning to sell to customers but couldn't really do it with confidence.

Has anyone used online GSM / WAN meter reading service providers they'd recommend with good quality graphical displays and data analysis?

Last edited:
Vegelen - do you mean wireless LAN when you say WAN? MeterOnline (MeterManager) provide the online portal you have linked to for the AS230M and ME372 for single-phase, and MT375 for poly-phase. MeteringOnline (Energy Controls) provide the online portal for the L&G E470 single-phase meter. Orsis tend towards RF/GPRS comms for the A100CP and Passive have a couple of options too. We can provide the AS230/ME372/MT375 as well as the Emlite EMA which is a very cost-effective option. All of these meters work on the GSM/GPRS network and come with a modem built-in with a pre-fitted SIM card that is usually open to at least 3 networks. Data management/portal-access charges do vary depending on how frequently you need the data to be uploaded. Most portals display data which is day +1 (24hrs) old. If you want live data then you would have to look at something like the Intellymodem solution that we provide - works on same basis, from pulsed ouput, data via GSM/GPRS but has some other features too.

As I said, if you want to let me know your email addy, I'll send you some costs/details etc.

If you want a kWh meter that is incorporated onto a LAN/WLAN then you have to ask the question "why" as this is not a standard way of accessing the meter. Some meters do come with an option to have an RS485 module fitted, or you can simply incorporate the pulsed ouput into an existing BMS etc. Converting from RS485 to wi-fi is feasible but, again, question is "why". The online portal management providers have invested a huge sum of money to secure and collect the data sent over the GSM/GPRS network and have jumped through hoops to get to where they are at now. Having the data sent locally on a LAN/WLAN and interpreted into a user-friendly GUI is not something you are going to be able to do "off-the-shelf" (in my opinion, I could be wrong) and the providers listed aren't going to release/relax their own comms protocols to enable you to do that anyway. So, you are left with either incorporating the pulsed output or RS485 data into a custom BMS/GUI, or using the services/comms-channels/GUI's already available via the tried and tested GSM/GPRS transport method and online portal.

Reply to Elster AS230 GSM / WAN / LAN / PLC Single Phase Meter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net