Discuss Employer wants paying for IPAF course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

All of my courses that have been paid for by an employer, have been of no use to me afterwards.
The meat factory got me a fork lift licence, which I rarely used at the meat factory, and have never used since.
The asbestos awareness, that one company provided might have been used once, but I’ve since had to do 2 more, the last being a lifetime certificate.
One company provided a course on using a HILTI DX nail gun, which I have never needed since.
I still have a couple of years to go on my First Aid certificate, so I may get to use it again?

Everything else I have, I paid for and obtained myself.

A £170 lesson on reading documents before you sign them.

I would advise paying it just in case you need to work for the same company again.

Personally I'm not sure what I would do in your shoes, probably bitch and moan, kick up a fuss and end up burning my bridges.

Easy to say from behind a keyboard with loads of work. :)

Speak to your union? USDAW tend to deal with warehousing and logistics, assuming that's the sector you're in?
Depends really on what your CofE says regarding repayment of training costs, you say you signed with a scribble wont wash Lister, you could mention that the company has received some sort of Tax rebates for paying for your training, but in the long run, you could be liable for repayment.

pay iy less the 6 months (10%) then deduct the tax (20%). so offer £120.

It’s all well and good saying pay a proportion, but are the proportions fair?
Seems that if he stayed until November, he wouldn’t have to pay anything.
So that’s 4 months left out of 12.
I make that about £56 left owing.
It’s no good knocking tax off, as they’ll have to pay tax on whatever the OP gives them.

Then again it’s paying for something he doesn’t need, but the company needed him to have, so why should he pay anything?

Then again it’s paying for something he doesn’t need, but the company needed him to have, so why should he pay anything?
In my opinion he shouldn't pay anything - assuming that his version of events is complete and accurate, of course.

What I've written is true if it wasnt then I wouldn't be asking for other opinions on the situation
I've no problem paying for something I know I'm liable for, but when myself and 20+ others didn't realise they were signing for costs if they leave within 12 mths, I think that tells you a lot!

Well I'll find out this week if they mention it or not.

Some colleagues don't think the company will mention it as they won't want to create an impasse which would prevent me from going back, firm is pretty desperate for skilled labour

At the end of the day, I don't intend on returning,
whether the new job works out is largely down to me

Do not pay this. Inform them in writing signed and dated that you dispute the leagality of their claim and that if they deduct this payment from your final pay packet you shall sue them.

Firstly if what you are saying is correct then the document you claim you signed does not clearly state that this is the case. Or if as you say a number of employees all of which have signed the same document and none of which are aware of this then clearly some underhand sculduggery is affoot probably the section stating this info on a previous sheet to the part thats you signed for and was never presented at the time of signing.
Ask them for a copy of the document that they say you signed.

Secondly If they never asked would you like to do it and you never requested this course then it was thrust upon you without any choice on your behalf. And as you say is of no benifit and not had any influance on you obtaining a position in your new employment.

No company can leagally deduct funds from source without making you aware of before hand unless it is because of a court order attachment. they have to inform you in writing beforehand so that you may have chance to dispute prior to it happening should it be an error.

As for good will and doors being left open if you was to pay this and then return to their employ within a month or so do you think they would then refund the money you paid them! I think not yet it would be a requirment for you to work there clearly as they are the ones who sent you on the course.
No move on and let them slam the door shut behind you dont look back and dont give the a second thought, if it was a decent company you would not even be posting this but clearly from some of the tactics they play they are cirtainly not worth loosing sleep over, not to mention i am sure some of them tactics are on the fringe of being illigal hence the fact no Union members allowed.

Reply to Employer wants paying for IPAF course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net