Discuss EPC Course , day 4 of 6 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi mcs renewables, this sounds great. But if you get called out to do a solar survey, that might be free, the program will recommend all of the basic energy efficient products first and solar will be so far down the list that it will not be considered, and you will have wasted your time, I think it's time to get into windows and the itchy stuff. Regards

In that case the customer will get six companies to quote and your survey will be worthless. The client should be made to pay for each survey and have this added to the cost of his green deal. It would be a cost to him so he wouldn't be asking more than 3 companies to quote and at least your professionalism will be paid for. Good luck

I think you'll find that customers need barriers broken down to make their buying easier not erected to put them off. This business is going to be hard enough without insisting that the customer pays for the survey. I for one won't be charging so anyone in my area who does try to charge is immediately at a disadvantage and I won't be alone.

I do not see the problem, With the advice given to me by the person who did my EPC, i have a good guide to where D band would be. Clarity and Honesty has won me more work than it has cost me. Basically i will look at it and explain the situation to the client, giving them the info i know, and if they agree in principle to place the work with me i will have the survey done. It will be mine untill the works are done. If the property fails to reach band D without vast expenidture to the client and they choose not to go ahead, thats my loss, but i really feel that if you explain to the client what its about, there will be few issues.
I will not charge the client up front for it, but it will be built into the cost of the job if it goes ahead.

It will be mine untill the works are done.

Ownership of an EPC is a tricky issue. Once it is lodged it is not actually the DEAs property! This has been an ongoing issue with DEAs and the odd client who refuses to pay.

Just make sure you don't lodge the EPC too soon and keep it in draft form. That way if you don't get the job you won't pay the lodgement and can just re-enter the data for the next property. Once an EPC is lodged, it is entered on to the central register and can be accessed by any other DEA. Some EPC software will tell you if an EPC is already lodged on a property.

so, if I understand this correctly....
In order to stay in this industry, which I have invested thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours in to get trained, assessed and registered, I am now expected to pay over a thousand pounds more, invest more time and increase my overheads at a time of shrinking returns and a rapidly contracting marketplace in an industry the Government seems determined to kill off within the next year or so.

I would sooner burn £5 notes before being beaten to death with the syphillis infested todger of a decomposing dead camel!

Ownership of an EPC is a tricky issue.

If i get the EPC done it will be sent to me, i will report its findings to the client. Once the works are done it is placed in the clients pack. If not i will not send it to them. Should they go looking for it or find it online, or whatever that my loss, but i will tell the client that i will not release the EPC to them if the job does not go ahead.

If they find it another way so be it... not much i can do about that!

Reply to EPC Course , day 4 of 6 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net