Discuss Finishing someone else’s work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum go easy,
I’ve been asked to finish a job off (going to look at it tomorrow to see how visible the install is) just wondering how we go about this? Obviously i will test before anything would be done but what to do after just issue a PIC and tell the customer to notify building control? Or just walk away
As far as I’m aware this other spark has been a major let down and not what they were after and Has since left not to return I’m told it’s first fix and that’s about it

If it's only been first fixed, you should be able to give it a good coat of looking over. See what you think and judge accordingly. If you feel happy, go ahead.

This is an interesting conundrum and one I come across at least once a month.
if the job is barely started I adopt as my own and more or less start again.
if the job is further progressed this is where it gets interesting , as you either have to adopt it as your own without seeing the cable runs etc
or issue an eicr for the house once you tie up the lose ends and that’s about all you can do...

Beware of wolf In sheep's clothing especially
If its warring a wolly jumper. Lol
Me you have to think very carefully taking on some body's work.
That sounds dirty, buzz!!;) but, I suppose I agree. :confused:

from what I’ve gathered he’s had money up front to cover first fix gear and some labour ect and has just took the Micky with the whole job and they don’t want him back and I think it’s pretty covered up as plasters outta there Friday so could be a can of worms

from what I’ve gathered he’s had money up front to cover first fix gear and some labour ect and has just took the Micky with the whole job and they don’t want him back and I think it’s pretty covered up as plasters outta there Friday so could be a can of worms
There might be too sides of a story, on this.

you can IR the new cables if you are concerned about damage etc

I took on half Finished rewire a few years back and I spent the first half a day IR testing all the buried cables and popping up floor boards to inspect the cabling.
it can be done

If I take a job on there and then. I would ask the customer the bacs a payment in the bank after you done the testing. you never no, Just in case they knock you. Never trust a customer when they we had to get rid of him, blar blar.

My hairdresser now takes a 50% deposit over the phone , perhaps we should....?
My barber doesn't understand all that business.....cash in hand when he does the job....but I'm not giving him half before he starts.

My philosophy with these things is simply that someone is going to get the job finished, eventually, so if you need the work then why shouldn't it be you? Subject, of course, to safeguarding yourself by investigating and testing as much as possible what's already installed and sussing out the customer for financials. Remember also that you can document this change of handover on the EIC, listing what testing steps you have undertaken, and can also use a three part form and not claim responsibility for design (if that's the case).

Thanks all for your input
Just left the property and it’s a right mess
1mm for all lighting 2 x separate feed for 4 spots
2x 6mm fed into one single box (no load to a cooker at all by the looks of it)
1x 2.5mm at the board
No 3c between switches for 2way as requested
All boxes on pish
No room in the cu for any new circuits to go
Tails not long enough to dress into any kind of cu just cheese wired across the door way
All walls boarded and ceilings being skimmed ask was there

told old boy I would check through it Saturday morning when plasters gone but would 99% need ripping out and starting again I have some pictures of routes that plaster took aswell

My philosophy with these things is simply that someone is going to get the job finished, eventually, so if you need the work then why shouldn't it be you? Subject, of course, to safeguarding yourself by investigating and testing as much as possible what's already installed and sussing out the customer for financials. Remember also that you can document this change of handover on the EIC, listing what testing steps you have undertaken, and can also use a three part form and not claim responsibility for design (if that's the case).

very much this

sooner or later if they ring enough local sparks someone wI’ll do it , so you might as well just get on & do it

just submit a price for the work , allowing enough time to check the existing wiring & perhaps take some money up front to cover your own arse

Reply to Finishing someone else’s work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock