Discuss First Assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daver

Morning Chaps

Have my first assessment with Elecsa on Wednesday and am bricking it. Could one of you advise me on Isolation.

It is 8 flats which I rewired, so my plan is to let him pick any flat. When I arrive, I will:
ALL from Landlords cupboard.
Turn of power to flat from service switch. Then from my own isolator, will switch off and also pull the fuse out and pocket it. Lock landlords cupboard and place sign on it.
No proving unit so I will test meter in flat next door, Check CU is dead, then test meter again.

Am I correct?

This is where my confusion comes, which I picked up from another thread about leaving cover off DB. When I have finished dead test, I will remove CPC from MET and then go and energise, so I can take a Ze at DB.

Should I ask the examiner to come out of flat, lock the door whilst I walk downstairs to energise the system. Or replace cover on DB first and then energise.

Once tested, I will then de-energise, prove dead and then replace CPCs.

So question is, lock him out of room or replace cover.

And is this what you guys would do.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless he says otherwise, when he chooses a flat to look at, you will be working from that CU, so you treat it as you would a house for example, and not worry about the distribution TO the CU.

This way you can also prove dead at the CU.

Dont worry too much about the safe isolation procedure as long as you can explain it to him you will be fine,they will probably not even turn off any power anyway.

I had my elecsa assessment on weds this week and it all went fine, just make sure you have all the relevent books etc

:)

More confusion.

Say for eg he asks me to do full test on ring final, Electricity at work says that you cannot work live in CU, so my only way of isolating CU, is from landlords cupboard.

With the Ze its a quick touch with the probe and done.

As w88rdy says, think I will just explain fully my intentions and the procedures.

Cheers guys

you can isolate the cu from the main switch, prove your meter on the incoming side of the main switch and show it is isolated to the rest of the c.u

daver dont worry if you can do the job any assesser worth there salt will see this .as they are normally working sparks and know how wound up you are with the whole prossess and do there best to relaxe you

Indeed, the assessor will do just that, however, you will still need to prove competency in testing, so its no good just explaining to him what you are going to do.

As for not worrying too much about the safe isolation procedure, that could be an instant fail, if you dont carry this out prior to working in a CU with the cover off.

If nothing else, thats one thing he WILL look for.

Remember, just relax and give him plenty of tea.

I had my elecsa assessment today, and the assessor was a part time assessor - full time electrician, so like the guys have been saying, they will see if you are competent or not. Do all your tests from the consumer unit, dont isolate it from anywhere other than the main switch on the consumer unit to be tested.

Reply to First Assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock