Discuss Flat plate accessories in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkeyelectric

Has anyone had the problem of flat plate accessories not fitting side by side on a dual accessory patress? these were volex and the boxes were recessed behind tiles but the screw holes were all lined up and they overlapped by about 5mm, ended up having to use normal ones that fitted fine

I dont use dual boxes now. I've been caught out before. First fix a house and the customer says it'll be just ordinary white switches and sockets, then go back to second fix and they have decieded to go flat plate. :mad:

so the dual boxes that i have fitted won't take flat plate sockets or fuse spurs or dp switches ? You are kidding me ? Oh No not good at all
What about dual metal boxes ?
Why do manufacturers make things that aren't fit for purpose ...As in my thread about the screws provided in BG nexus lihghting switches etc . Also anyone tried to fit a 25mm2 Earth in a new 17th amend 3 Fuseboard .........Can't be done in one hole . Why don't manufacturers talk to US the poor buggers who have to install things and make them comply to the regs and look good to the client grrrrrr

Yeah still won't really fit on a dual box due to the lip. Give it a go first on one as a trial before carrying on with 2nd fixing. Perhaps some light grinding ?
Reducing lug for 25mm Earth tho can't say I've tried fitting it as I can't recall the last time I put in 25mm Earth domestically anyway

I had a 4 core 25mm2 Armoured One core being the earth I checked it was fixed onto a copper earth bar at the Intake and then 1 neutral which had to be commoned out As did said earth and then 2 feeds One on peak one off . Of course The mains switches are rated at 100 amp so 25mm2 easy into mains switch but the earth its impossible . Yes you can lug it and drill it to the casing but I ain't got a 25mm2 crimp tool They cost cash to buy or even rent . So my point is why the F*** cant they just make one hole in the earth bar big enough . After all they make the mains switch big enough !!!! . I 've always run 25mm2 for earth because its in the 3/4 core 25mm2 swa . So grind the Flat plate mmmmmmm ? I'm so glad I'm doing my job on an hourly basis. I would have lost a fortune with all these little things I'm finding preventing a nice simple work flow had i done it on a price !!!

I use 2 holes on the earth bar split the cores and shape it like a lug with one wrapped around to keep the shape so I keep the 25mm2 integrity most I see just chop out a few cores mmmmm Not the best working practice I feel .

I use 2 holes on the earth bar split the cores and shape it like a lug with one wrapped around to keep the shape so I keep the 25mm2 integrity most I see just chop out a few cores mmmmm Not the best working practice I feel .

Why? Just fit a pin lug (reducing lug if you want to be posh) no need to go hashing it in splitting the cores across multiple holes.

They don't make the holes that big because you're never going to need a 25mm earth in normal domestic job. Even with SWA you shouldn't need more than 16mm as the flylead on to the armour of the 25mm won't need to be 25mm

Reply to Flat plate accessories in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net