Discuss Flexible single core cable for exterior use in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

aesmith

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace some of the wires to/from the electric fence energiser. The existing wires look to be normal PVC insulated wire like you'd use in auto electrics or inside a piece of equipment. Over a few years the insulation has faded and hardened so the wires are now quite brittle. The wires go to and from a solar panel (around 500mA @ 14V), to the earth stake and also for the output to the fence (high voltage). The wire would have to suit normal auto electric normal crimp connectors so I can put the correct terminals on, and obviously needs to be suitable for outdoor use.

I was thinking of using the sort of silicon insulated extra flexible wire used for test leads, does anyone have any comments or alternative suggestions?

Thanks, Tony S

for the high voltage side you need to use lead out cable and for the 12v side you need a cable that is uv resisitant and sutable for the teprature range that it will be in

for the high voltage side you need to use lead out cable and for the 12v side you need a cable that is uv resisitant and sutable for the teprature range that it will be in
Thanks. I am not certain that I need the special Lead Out cable, that's normally used for long runs whereas ours is only 1/2 metre or so. Lead out cable is solid single steel core, so can't use the sort of crimps needed to connect to the energiser, nor am I sure how it would connect to the netting. I've asked the supplier about suitable connectors, but haven't yet heard back.

well if you want an allternative the cable that is used on the dc side of solar pv systems may be worth a look

Reply to Flexible single core cable for exterior use in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net