Discuss Garage Wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steviec_lj

Hi boys,

Having sorted a few issues out around the new hoome, and ripped all of the very dodgy electrics out of the garage to start a fresh, I come here in peace to ask for a little advice.

The garage in question is 10mtrs long by 8.5mtrs wide, with a gable roof. Unfortunately in some respects it is located some 70mtrs away from the CCU at the front of the house, but this also means its located quite some distance from other properties, so noise won't be too much of an issue. Originally, the garage was fitted out in T+E simply clipped to the walls, no CPC was used on any of the earth bonds, and MC fittings were used throughout.

As mentioned above, I have ripped all of this out, as personally, I believed it was unsafe, and the views of the Electricians who apparently re-wired the house thought it was unsafe also as it was not connected to the CCU.

The feed to the garage also looks to have seen better days, and disappears into a Metal connection unit to the rear of the property, so I am also in the process of pulling this out to upgrade it at the same time. I will be using 10mm 3 Core SWA for the entire run from the house CU to garage CU, will this need to be protected by RCD at the house end, or am I safe to only protect the garage by RCD at the garage end?

I am now looking at using PVC Conduit throughout with correct fittings installed where required, which leads me to my first question. I will be using 20mm Rigid PVC Conduit and 2.5mm Stranded Singles for the install, what is the total capacity of the 20mm conduit?

Second question, if labelled at the CU and outlets, what would be the maximum number of Ring Final Circuits I can install in the garage space? I am currently looking at 2 due to the distances between the work bench locations, and possible loadings.

I have started to compile a list of the circuits I will be installing into the garage, of which I have listed below, any advice on them would be greatly received:

1x 6a Lighting Circuit for Main Garage - 8x 1500mm 85w Fluorescent Tubes
1x 6a Lighting Circuit for Internal Store Room - 1x 1500mm 85w Fluorescent Tube
1x 10a Lighting Circuit for Outside Lights - 1x 150w Security Light, 1x 300w Security Light, 1x 75w Metal Halide
1x 16a Radial Circuit for Battery Chargers - 3x Double 13a Metal Clad Sockets
1x 16a Radial Circuit for Internal Store Room - 2x Double 13a Metal Clad Sockets
1x 16a Radial Circuit for Compressor - 1x 16a Socket, although I would like to leave this available for upgrade as I will soon be getting a new motor for the compressor as 3hp is a little on the light side.
1x 32a Ring Final Circuit for Workbench 1, located on the west face of the building - 6x Double 13a Metal Clad Sockets, 2x Metal Clad FCU's for Parts Washer and Shot Blasting Cabinet
1x 32a Ring Final Circuit for Workbench 2, located on the east face of the building - 6x Souble 13a Metal Clad Sockets
1x 16a Radial Circuit for Electric Hoist - Located in the centre of the roof line

I would also like to install some 16a Sockets around the various benches too, along with 1 between the garage doors, so that I am able to use welding equipment at various locations. Would these also have to be protected by 16a MCB's, even if 2 were connected together at different points of the garage?

Final question, before I get the credit and debit cards out to pay for everything, I am looking for pipe clips to suit the 20mm conduit, I have had a look around all of the local DIY stores to see what they have on offer, unfortunately only 15mm & 22mm, and I have also spoken to the local CEF, who have informed me that they are available, but they would like to charge me £28+vat for a box of 100. Can anyone recommend a supplier for these?

Apologies for the long post, I'm sure there will be something I have missed along the lines somewhere.

Many thanks,
Steve

ADDITIONAL QUESTION ALERT:

I only have a Single Phase feed to the garage, however, I have been looking at 3ph motors for the compressor, as the 1ph motor currently struggles a little when cold and it takes an age to reach pressure.

Would an inverter be the best way forward, or can I take 3x 1ph feeds from the CU to the compressor location? I assume this would have to be through a 3ph MCB, so that if 1 phase was to develop a fault it wouldn't then leave 2 phases live.

Quite simply looking for the easiest option of getting a 3ph motor on to the compressor to reduce the load on the 1ph motor that struggles.

Apologies for the long post, I'm sure there will be something I have missed along the lines somewhere.

Building control notification...maybe ?

Sounds like you need to calculate your existing loading on the house ,and then calculate the total load with diversity at the garage,you may overload the existing 100amp single phase supply and may need a new supply installed by dno

Notification is in the process of being taken care of. I am currently waitiing on a reply from North Lincolnshire Council about a few things.

Maximum total load from the garage will be 65amps with EVERYTHING energised, not everything will be at the same time, I estimate a load of 28amps maximum from the garage.

Compressor currently pulls 12.8amps on full bore, plus lighting at 6a max is 19amps maximum.
Parts washers along with lighting is maximum of 9amps.
Welder plus lighting is maximum of 21amps, dependant upon MIG or TIG being used.

Looks like I shall be investing in a 1ph to 3ph Inverter for the new compressor motor.

Tha capicity of 20mm conduit is dependant on the distance between draw in points, number of bends etc. so more information would be required to calculate.

Hi
I was just googling for something else and happened across this fresh post of yours.

Lots of things jump out at me straight off:
10mm will give to much voltage drop on the 70m run when loads kick in

Local authorities, Part-P and all that. Above all else, get the whole of your design fully ratified by a 3rd party, and properly checked/tested afterwards.

Pay very close attenting to earthing/bonding requirements. You got TN earthing, yes?

Off the top of my head:
Fit an emergency light or two!
Suggest you put the outside lights on their own RCBO
3hp compressor might be be better off with a 32A supply in the first place (but still consider protective fusing). If you're trying to get a bigger (1ph) compressor, then either a 4hp or 2x3hp twin motors. Possibly with a Starter.

Don't touch 3ph.

Expect that compressor and welder and all lights and chargers will be running at the same
time. (I would).

The Parts Washer could be considered a location of increased shock risk.
Use a dual RCD CU (Metal)
House: supply isolator (you do have one, yes?) -> service blocks -> 45/60A metal box switch fuse -> 16mm 3-core SWA -> garage CU with dual RCD

Use isolation switches for the BS4343 sockets. (MCBs are not isolators)
DP emergency stop switch required for hoist.

No fume extraction or other forced ventilation?

Plus, it says in my book about radial circuits using BS4343:
Where a radial circuit feeds equipment the maximum of which, having allowed for diversity,
is known or estimated not to exceed the rating of the overcurrent protective device and in
any event does not exceed 20A, the number of socket-outlets is unlimited.
I.e. yes you can share.

BJS

Reply to Garage Wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net