Discuss Getting started... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cawthorne

Hi sparks,

I want to train as an electrician. I'm 26 and have worked a variety of construction jobs (dry wall fixer, labourer, carpenter's mate etc) but i have no knowledge of electrical installation.

What are the chances of getting work experience by visiting my local business in person with my CV and asking? I'm willing to work for free (month or so) and intend to pay for my own courses.

Do you think i would be taken seriously and given a chance or is my lack of experience going to get me turned away.

Sorry if this has been covered before or is in the wrong place

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Hope it all works out for you.
What area are you thinking of? e.g. Industrial, Commercial or Domestic?
What courses are you looking into?
Do you have any books?

I had almost exactly the same enquiry last month.
My advice was that any prospective employers might take any enquiries more seriously if proof of enrolment on a course were evident as this proves commitment. I also made the guy aware that I regularly get enquiries for employment from second and third year apprentices as well as newly fully qualified guys and that this would be the local competition in any job searches.

Offering to work for free is possibly setting yourself up to not get taken very seriously and possibly taken advantage of.

My advice would be to pop down to your local college, discuss courses, enquire about any potential funding that may be available, and go from there.

Hi and welcome, the very fact that you have experience in different parts of the construction Industry at still quite a young age, but you have not really stuck at one in particular. That to me as an employer would start bells ringing, how serious are you in becoming an Electrician, because it is a long road ahead, your commitment has to be 100%.

Don't know what area you are in, But around my way there's loads of jobs available for sparks and mates etc. Maybe try applying for a few mates jobs, it'd give you an idea as to what's involved and you'd be earning.
As said above, Saying you'll work for free and pay for your own courses may just lead you to becoming cheap labour for someone. Would also be worth having a look through some of the other 'getting started' threads on here.

Reply to Getting started... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net