Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss getting the council to pass off work for certificates in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wannabesparky

hi all,

Newly qualified but still learning.

i was asked to look at a job by someone who had just bought a house and it looked like someone had started to do some rewiring but give up in the end as there are bare cores all over the place.

The electric was turned off at all 3 rewirable fuse boards and there was £259.00 debt on the smart token meter, hence there was no supply anyway.

I want to get shot of the rewirable fuse boards and put a new 17th edition consumer unit in but as of yet i cant self certificate.

I have heard that you can go to the council and get them to pass your work off when you have completed, can anyone tell me if this is true and how i go about doing this please and what are the costs.

I would be most greatful for any sensible answers.

If you are to get the council to sign off work you need to inform them before you start any work as they will want to see the work in progress from the very start. They will probably employ a contactor to oversee each stage first fix, second fix etc. They will want to see all cable runs etc. You will also have to provide an EIC at with all test results on completion. On prices I don't know, but if you look at the relavent council website under Building control you may be able to see a schedule of their costs. Hope this helps.

but what if i havent done my 2391 and havent got enough experience in testing to put the reults needed down?
can i do the job still or not?

might be a silly question but still learning sorry

but what if i havent done my 2391 and havent got enough experience in testing to put the reults needed down?
can i do the job still or not?

might be a silly question but still learning sorry

Im going to assume you did the DI course then...

You can still do the work and LABC have to do all the testing but it might be better for you if you try and get some more testing exp first.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mac,
thanks for your recent replies regarding my questions,
i am not doing the job i looked at now but i did email labc just to enquire what the procedure was if they were to certify work for you and how you went about it and what experience do you need and cost etc but i got a reply back saying if they dont carry out the work they cant cerify it.
Do you have an email address or phone number i can use to get in touch with the right people to get my answers?
kind regards
wannabesparky

For clarity`s sake, may i ask precisely what quals you do have.

I know you`ve stated "Newly qualified but still learning" & "did Part P at college.." but it would be useful to know details so as best to advise.

Oh, & the Di is the Domestic Installer course.

You have to ring the local council and inform them that you plan to start work. They will contact the supplier who then contacts you to arrange a first fix inspection. When you are ready they will send a person out, and people have warned me about them and boy to they nit pick! Anyhoo.... once they have given you the ok for the first fix you can go on to complete and you have to test it yourself and leave them ther results for them to come back out and certifiy what you have done is correct. Then thats it, if it all goes to plan.
If you have applied for planning permission and are having work done then you have already paid building control and dont need to pay again for the part p inspection. Well, thats what they told me anyway.

i did
city & guilds 2360 parts 1 & 2
city & guillds 16th edition
city & guilds 17th edition
part p of the building regs (not full scope)

i did city & guilds 2391 but failed in december

i did
city & guilds 2360 parts 1 & 2
city & guillds 16th edition
city & guilds 17th edition
part p of the building regs (not full scope)

i did city & guilds 2391 but failed in december

Not sure what you mean by "not full scope" - i thought you meant the C&G course (is it the 2393 ?) if so then could you be confusing that with Part P registering bodies Full or Limited Scope schemes?

Anyway, with regard to you going forward i really would strongly suggest you look into doing the 2392. I won`t bore you with the details here, but check it out & come back if you have further q`s about it. I suspect it may help you turn a corner...

Al

Reply to getting the council to pass off work for certificates in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net