Discuss Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd just sell the house and move to a better area where an alarm isn't required, tsk peasants.........

SWD - I know that You are replying with these ridiculous messages just to irritate me and you have succeeded.

If You really think that people who live in `Better areas` don`t get Burgled you need lessons in realities of life.

There are NO areas of London where `an Alarm is not required`.

Your comments regarding that show that you are very naive about Burglary / Crime - especially as you claim to know various areas of London.

However a person would not have to `know London` to realise that an Alarm system is a good addition to ANY Home`s Security they would just need to have some `common sense`.

People who live in the `Best areas` of London / the UK where Houses cost Millions of pounds usually have much better `Security` than the average Home.

Often stronger external Doors and the best quality locks - perhaps Security grilles on Basement and Ground floor windows - maybe even `Security Glass` in those Windows and Doors - a really good Alarm system and CCTV.

Sometimes even Security Guards regularly patrolling the exterior of the Homes or even `living in`- which I know happens in some parts of Belgravia, Kensington, Knightsbridge etc.

That would be why people who own `the Best Homes` / live in `the Best areas` don`t get Burgled as often as Homes with lesser Security - not because of the area that they live in.

Adding insults to your replies shows immaturity.

Chris

SWD - I know that You are replying with these ridiculous messages just to irritate me and you have succeeded.

If You really think that people who live in `Better areas` don`t get Burgled you need lessons in realities of life.

There are NO areas of London where `an Alarm is not required`.

Your comments regarding that show that you are very naive about Burglary / Crime - especially as you claim to know various areas of London.

However a person would not have to `know London` to realise that an Alarm system is a good addition to ANY Home`s Security they would just need to have some `common sense`.

People who live in the `Best areas` of London / the UK where Houses cost Millions of pounds usually have much better `Security` than the average Home.

Often stronger external Doors and the best quality locks - perhaps Security grilles on Basement and Ground floor windows - maybe even `Security Glass` in those Windows and Doors - a really good Alarm system and CCTV.

Sometimes even Security Guards regularly patrolling the exterior of the Homes or even `living in`- which I know happens in some parts of Belgravia, Kensington, Knightsbridge etc.

That would be why people who own `the Best Homes` / live in `the Best areas` don`t get Burgled as often as Homes with lesser Security - not because of the area that they live in.

Adding insults to your replies shows immaturity.

Chris
I earn my money as a burglar, better money then being an Eleectrikery Wizard..........

Hello EalingBadger,

Thank You for your reply and for the link.

Sorry that my reply to your message was slightly delayed after responding to Member SWD - I had to take what turned out to be a very long telephone call.

I was not intending to ignore your message and I had already used the link and found the 3M `Bonding & Assembly` Information webpage where I have submitted my question.

Because I am busy with `Admin` today I submitted the question to 3M `the Adhesive Experts` - but I will look further using the link that you posted.

I had done some research online before posting this thread and obviously found that there are hundreds of different Adhesives to read about.

The result of my `Superglue Test` was that it did not melt the PVC Alarm cable insulation and it did stick the cable to an offcut of UPVC - albeit just a flat piece which was laying flat.

If I don`t get a recommendation from 3M Adhesives for a glue that would possibly be easier to use without any possibility of accidental damage / marking of the UPVC frames I will be using the Superglue although holding the cables in place while they adhere might not be easy.

Thanks again for your interest and message.

Chris

Mitre fast would be ideal in this situation. Comes as a 2 part kit, 1 bottle of superglue and one can of aerosol activator which makes the glue go off within a couple of seconds.

Hello again Resu,

Thanks for the recommendation / information.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this and I am not trying to contradict you or be awkward but what do you think about this:

I would be concerned that trying to apply a line of Superglue down the cable route [on the UPVC moulding / trim] and then spray it with activator could cause a very messy / undesirable situation before I even got a chance to try sticking the Alarm cable to the activated Superglue ?

Also - would you guess that the overspray from the activator spray would just wipe off the brilliant white UPVC without discolouring it ?

When I attempt gluing the cables onto the UPVC frames / architraves I will have fixed the Magnetic contacts to the bottom of the `mouldings` and the cables will be routed up through the ceilings [following an exactly vertical line] with enough slack to push them onto the adhesive.

After they have adhered to the shape of the frames / architraves I will pull the slack up from above.

I have described that because I would not really be able to apply the Superglue and activator to the Alarm cable and then stick them onto the UPVC frames / architraves as the cables need to be connected first to the Magnetic contacts.

Thanks again - I would be grateful for your thoughts on my questions please.

Chris

back on track, i'd just use a bit of the 12mm x 5mm sticky back mini. trunking. non permanent so can be removed if desired with no melting of the pvc frame which could invalidate any warranty.

Hello again Resu,

Thanks for the recommendation / information.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this and I am not trying to contradict you or be awkward but what do you think about this:

I would be concerned that trying to apply a line of Superglue down the cable route [on the UPVC moulding / trim] and then spray it with activator could cause a very messy / undesirable situation before I even got a chance to try sticking the Alarm cable to the activated Superglue ?

Also - would you guess that the overspray from the activator spray would just wipe off the brilliant white UPVC without discolouring it ?

When I attempt gluing the cables onto the UPVC frames / architraves I will have fixed the Magnetic contacts to the bottom of the `mouldings` and the cables will be routed up through the ceilings [following an exactly vertical line] with enough slack to push them onto the adhesive.

After they have adhered to the shape of the frames / architraves I will pull the slack up from above.

I have described that because I would not really be able to apply the Superglue and activator to the Alarm cable and then stick them onto the UPVC frames / architraves as the cables need to be connected first to the Magnetic contacts.

Thanks again - I would be grateful for your thoughts on my questions please.

Chris

I'd go for: line of glue on frame, place cable on top, quick spray with activator. Activator should effectively evaporate but should wipe off no problem if not.

Would be worth a test in a discrete corner if you're worried.

back on track, i'd just use a bit of the 12mm x 5mm sticky back mini. trunking. non permanent so can be removed if desired with no melting of the pvc frame which could invalidate any warranty.

Hello telectrix,

Thanks for your message.

The Window frames and Door architraves are made from pieces of moulded UPVC `trim` which are fitted around the windows and doors - apart from a section closest to the window and door which measures 35mm x 5mm there are no flat surfaces to use any size of mini trunking.

Chris

I'd go for: line of glue on frame, place cable on top, quick spray with activator. Activator should effectively evaporate but should wipe off no problem if not.

Would be worth a test in a discrete corner if you're worried.

Hello again Resu,

Thanks very much for replying to my question about using your recommendation `Mitre Fast` regarding the use of the `Activator` spray.

I have the Alarm Magnetic contacts wired up [cables clipped to joists in floor voids above] and hanging down from ceiling to Magnetic contacts with enough slack to be able to glue them to the UPVC frames and architraves so now that I know what adhesive to use I can glue the cables whenever I get the Mitre Fast adhesive.

I know that You recommended this product much earlier in the duration of this thread but as it was a Superglue type adhesive I wanted to carry out my `Test` to ensure that type of glue did not damage / melt the pvc insulation of the Alarm cable or damage the UPVC.

Thank You very much for persevering with your recommendation and for helping me with the answer about the `Activator spray` - I have an offcut of UPVC so I can try the spray on that to ensure that it either evaporates or can be wiped off without staining.

Chris

in this situation i would have installed a wireless alarm system, such as the Risco Lightsys (hybrid) or Agility (totally wireless). problem would never arise then.

in this situation i would have installed a wireless alarm system, such as the Risco Lightsys (hybrid) or Agility (totally wireless). problem would never arise then.

Hello again telectrix.

In my original message that began this thread I explained that I was having to fit Alarm Magnetic contacts to some of my Home`s windows and doors because the wireless Alarm`s RF receiver had failed - it was no longer receiving the transmissions from the few wireless detectors that I had left on the system.

Either in that first message or in a subsequent one I described how over the last 20 years various wireless detectors had malfunctioned and that because replacements were no longer available from the Manufacturer I had to `hard wire` either new PIR Detectors [Honeywell] or Magnetic contacts to the Alarm Control Box.

My Alarm system was purchased as a `Wireless Burglar Alarm system` but luckily for me it also had the facility to add wired detectors or it would have become useless many years ago.

Because of my experiences with a `Wireless Burglar Alarm system I would never have one again.

I realise that there will have been a lot of improvements in wireless Alarm systems / wireless detectors and I know from your and other Members comments that the systems that are now available would be much less susceptible to external RF interference than my previous wireless detectors and probably more reliable regarding `malfunctions` - although some of my wireless detectors did last for 20 years until the Control Box stopped receiving their transmissions - which I view as almost `miraculous` regarding my previous expectations of `Electronic products`.

Chris

just out of interest, what make is the defective alarm system?

Reply to Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net