Discuss Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello All,

I am hoping to find a recommendation from members for a small tube of adhesive that is suitable for gluing Burglar Alarm detector cables to UPVC Window frames and Door architraves.

I don`t want to buy a Hot Glue gun and glue sticks as I only have 4 cables to run down quite detailed frames / door architraves.

Plus I have been told that although that type of adhesive does work when running the cables it does not hold them long term ?

I have thought about white Silicone mastic but only if there is no suitable small tube adhesive choice.

I have Googled: `Security cable adhesive` - `Security accessories glue` - Electrical cable adhesive / glue` - but I was finding adhesives which seemed to be designed to be used when jointing cables.

Can Members recommend a suitable adhesive - in a small tube hopefully ?

I am having to hard wire some Window / Door Magnetic contacts to my Home`s existing Alarm system because the Control box has stopped being able to receive the signals from my Wireless Detectors.

Previously the detectors were adhered to the Windows and Doors with strong hook & loop pads and there were only very short pieces of Bell wire running between the Wireless detector and the Magnetic contact on the Window frames / Door architraves.

Thanks in advance for any help / recommendations.

Chris
My local hardware also does bubbles for spirit levels and sparks for an angle grinder

Post photos up as glueing cables to a plastic window surround should make the electrician on here with a level of standard and workmanship weep...........

Sticky back cable holders or cable tie pads

Hello again Charlie,

Thanks for your suggestion.

The UPVC Window frames and Door architraves are white and there are blinds that don`t cover the corners of the frames or architraves.

I have some of the cable tie pads that You described they would look terrible stuck to the white UPVC - they might be a possibility where curtains would be covering the top corners of the frames / architraves.

Chris

Post photos up as glueing cables to a plastic window surround should make the electrician on here with a level of standard and workmanship weep...........

Hello SWD,

I have never seen any better way to run Alarm cables to UPVC Windows and Doors than gluing them around the shape of the `moulding`.

That is what every Alarm fitter that I have ever seen did - although I realise that is no reason to think that it would be the method used by a good Electrician I would be interested in why You seem to be stating that it is a ridiculous idea ?

Drilling a hole behind the moulding / frame / architrave without causing damage would not be worth trying compared to me gluing the cables.

Causing damage that would then be visible and could cost quite a lot of money to rectify is not an option that I would want to do.

Although as You might have noticed I am not an Electrician [below my messages] I am a `Technical Tradesman` and I do everything in my trades to the highest possible standard of workmanship - I would be interested in finding out what an Electrician would do without ANY chance of causing damage to the UPVC ?

What would You / `an Electrician with a level standard and workmanship` do that was guaranteed to NOT cause any damage ?

Chris

Spend more do the job as it should be done. Perfection is the key not harf measures and it doesn't matter what it costs as a cable glued to a plastic window would annoy the hell out of me but then again I don't think I would ever live i a house with plastic windows, it like having a blow up doll as a "wife".

Do you have house insurance?
Covered for break ins?
If so do you think the insurance company will pay out if burglars get in?

Hello again Charlie,

I have only just seen your message above after replying to one of your other replies.

I do have Home Insurance / Contents Insurance plus `good doors & windows` - high standard locks - CCTV and an Alarm.

I am sure that You know - the whole idea of having a Burglar Alarm is that hopefully when it goes off the Burglars immediately go away without having spent enough time [if any] to find and steal your valuables.

Why would you question whether I had Insurance and whether they would pay out on a thread that is asking about gluing Alarm detector cables to UPVC Window frames and Door architraves ?

Were You trying to suggest that if I have Home Insurance I don`t need a Alarm ?

Having your Home burgled and then claiming on your Insurance is that last thing that anyone would want.

Chris

Hi Chris
The reason I mentioned home insurance;
If the worst was to happen and your house was burgled, based on the age of your burglar alarm and lack of professional maintenance then I’m certain that the insurance would have just cause to not pay out.

Hi Chris
If the worst was to happen and your house was burgled, based on the age of your burglar alarm and lack of professional maintenance then I’m certain that the insurance would have just cause to not pay out.

Fair point. It depends if he stated to the insurance company that he had an alarm installed.

Spend more do the job as it should be done. Perfection is the key not harf measures and it doesn't matter what it costs as a cable glued to a plastic window would annoy the hell out of me but then again I don't think I would ever live i a house with plastic windows, it like having a blow up doll as a "wife".

SWD - You have not told me what YOU would do.

IF You had read my first couple of messages on this you would know why this is having to be done.

IF I was doing this before the UPVC Window and Door trims were being fitted I would have made sure that I had the cables put behind the mouldings.

Regarding your comments related to my Home / You would not live in a Home with plastic windows - my UPVC Windows & back door are of a high quality specification.

My House is in a very desirable area of South London - where similar homes could not be bought for less than a Million pounds.

Please don`t bother to reply to me again.

Chris

SWD - You have not told me what YOU would do.

IF You had read my first couple of messages on this you would know why this is having to be done.

IF I was doing this before the UPVC Window and Door trims were being fitted I would have made sure that I had the cables put behind the mouldings.

Regarding your comments related to my Home / You would not live in a Home with plastic windows - my UPVC Windows & back door are of a high quality specification.

My House is in a very desirable area of South London - where similar homes could not be bought for less than a Million pounds.

Please don`t bother to reply to me again.

Chris
I will reply, I asked for you to post a photo up so that we would be able to help you, South London is not desirable and if you can afford to live in a £1M house than you can afford to do the ob properly also if it was a nice area you would not need an alarm to start with, Peckham and Streatham maybe.....

It's your loss as I have done work like this in the past.

Bye.

Hi Chris

Hello Charlie,

Sorry that I misunderstood your comments regarding my Insurance.

Because I fitted my Home`s Burglar Alarm myself 20 Years ago I have not informed my Insurance Company that I have one.

I know that if one does inform their Insurers that part of the `Security` of their Home relies upon a Burglar Alarm the Insurers would expect to be able to ask for proof of regular maintenance - so as my Alarm is a `DIY Alarm` I have not informed them about it.

Thanks for your comments as they might have been pertinent to my Insurance.

Chris

I will reply, I asked for you to post a photo up so that we would be able to help you, South London is not desirable and if you can afford to live in a £1M house than you can afford to do the ob properly also if it was a nice area you would not need an alarm to start with, Peckham and Streatham maybe.....

It's your loss as I have done work like this in the past.

Bye.

Hello SWD,

I guarantee You that you could NOT do anything with the Alarm cables better than I could !

I will not identify where I live - but regarding your comments about South London - have you ever heard of Dulwich ?

Other `desireable` South London areas exist.

Chris

Reply to Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock