Discuss Ground mount and flat roof ballast advice. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
We have just been given the go ahead for a ground mounted 4kWp and a 2.64kWp on a flat roof. Having not installed these types before i'm after some help/ advice. Both systems are with A frame design.

Firstly the flat roof.
The ballast loads for the flat roof system that the supplier has specified seem huge. 63kg on the front and 157kg on the back of each panel mount. I haven't had the structural survey yet, but surely standard 8x2 timbers with ply top would not take this load. I guess we could bolt the A frames to the roof but i dont like the weather proofing issues.

Secondly the ground mount.
We will lay a base of MOT type 1 or similar about 9M by 9M for the two rows. What type of ballast is usually used? Sand bags? this would look a bit rough in my opinion. Any advice for a ballast that would look as good as we intend the rest of the installation to look?

Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Solion mounts. SOLION you can put down a sealer then slicon the mounts to the flat roof.

We have designed our mounts they are custom made and use a paving slab as ballast, pricey but makes life much easier with planning etc,.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when loading is an issue I have used the solion mounts- they cost a little more but are very light and the end result looks really good.
As for the actual loading- yes it is crazy the amount specified but wind is a very strong force- I have seen an arry blown over that I couldnt lift more than an inch- only 4 modules in width. I have seen some horrendous looking photos on here whilst browsing too- huge flat roof arrays in Europe that look like a tornado has hit them.

Using the right flat mount system, you can get the loading down to 15kg/m2.

We have quite a few very large flat roofs to do and with full wind overturning we can get the loading down to 15kg/m2.

Got it from Avontech Renewable Solutions

Paving slabs, Pea shingle, crushed stone.

What are you using for the ground mount? - Console?

If not then you'll need to put either concrete foundations or ground anchors in.

Reply to Ground mount and flat roof ballast advice. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net