Discuss health and safety in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

f1ngerz

I do mostly sub contracting , when speaking to a new firm about some work he asked me about what health and safety qualifications I had . I'm a JIB electrician ecs assessed cscs.
Any one got any other qualifications that are sought after ? Whats a passport to safety? Also want to get a full lifter / cherry picker licence ,the one I had was valid only while working at a certain firm? Any info gratefully recived:D

the lifter qualification your neding is IPAF their web site has a lot of info DO shop around tho some smaller trainers do good deals

Passport to saftey is similar to CSCS ECS but different in that it has modules that can be added PFS forecourts Neuclear sites ect

Pasmas (portable alloy towers) is another good one to have for commercial
Asbestos awareness is handy
there are loads most of which arent asked for some are only used in certain sectors by certain employers IMO Pasma IPAF and CSCS are most asked for
CRB check and Disclosure scotland can open some doors as well

you have ecs / cscs so they are H+S qualifications..... depending on the size of your company you could get CHAS or Safe Contractor which isn't too harsh on firms smaller than 5 guys, but a little heavy on firms bigger than that. IPAF for powered platforms, which you should get from a hire shop for about 150 or more and is a day course. Then you may need PASMA for towers etc which is similar cost and time.

Hope this helps a little:rolleyes:

just a bit about Asbestos awareness. M&S specify UKATA (UKATA - Welcome to the UKATA website) accredited. I did a NATAS online course ÂŁ25.00, that despite being a good course is not UKATA accredited (The NATAS web site makes you believe it is). I then did a 350 mile round trip to take the course at a UKATA accredited centre. 3 hours latter without any check as to who I was, no test to check my level of understanding, and not even knowing if I could speak english a certificate is on its its way to the main contractor. go figure.

h+s in this industry is a joke who ever sits up at night that thinks most of these things up i hope he catches crabs

sorry for the rant but it gets on my goat h and s does for simply things that makes your job 10 times harder like not allowed to use step ladders but you have to erectct a scaffold then take it down to get it through a door way then set it back up again and repeat:mad:

Jonesy83

The joke wore thin for me quite a while back:(

You are absolutely spot on with your comments

I await the day they have the sense to roll back a lot of this total nonesense.which has gone way way way over the top,to the point, that I for one, absolutely detest and resent applying any health and safety rules other than what I think is beneficial :mad:
It really is overwhelming our society and sickens me to hear about it

I'm thinking of completing the following course:

NEBOSH accredited National General Certificate in occupational Safety and Health

Has anyone done it, is it worth whilst ??

I am en Electrical Contractor employing approx 20 Electricians and office staff and I am starting to big up some big contracts. I currently employ H&S Consultants but I'm not too happy with what they do and would also like to get better in house H&S.

Last edited by a moderator:
a couple of firms i worked for used the HnS Consultancy route as this put some onus on the Consultant rather than the firm

a couple of firms i worked for used the HnS Consultancy route as this put some onus on the Consultant rather than the firm

To be honest Mogga I was going to stick with the consultants as well.

I was more after information on whether the course itself is worth doing, it's long and quite expensive although I am not too worried about that, I am more interested if there are any better alternative routes for me to go down.

IMO Id view it as another string to your bow it may also be required by some main contractors on big jobs if you have the spare readies and the time to do it Id go for it it will definetly complement your use of consultancy and when Consultant says some gobbldy gook you will be able to say Thats Bollix

Reply to health and safety in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net