Discuss height of distribution board?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

isitnow

Hi guys just a quick one, we all know the height requirements of part p being between 450mm-1200mm for standard equipment, but ive never heard of a standard height for a db. And all sparks i know just say its a common sense thing, so in existing buildings (part p free) i just tend to measure the height of other dbs and copy that, But what for new builds?/??/?

Any info would be appreciated thanks

If any of you have had or have kids you’ll know 3m is to low. The little sods will have the house flashing like a disco somehow.

My son, he’s now 26, was having a whale of at time when the wife left the cubby hole door open, he was straight in there! 16 MCB’s and 2 RCD’s to play with! Old style Wylex MCB’s and Crabtree RCD’s, 38 push buttons for him to press!

If any of you have had or have kids you’ll know 3m is to low. The little sods will have the house flashing like a disco somehow.

My son, he’s now 26, was having a whale of at time when the wife left the cubby hole door open, he was straight in there! 16 MCB’s and 2 RCD’s to play with! Old style Wylex MCB’s and Crabtree RCD’s, 38 push buttons for him to press!

haha ye i suppose all the buttons and the clicking would entertain a kid for hours

update, ive been researching this and dont seem to be able to get a clear answer, Some people are saying that the building regs do apply and the db has to be mounted in the correct height so as is accessible by disabled persons. But then some mention that this only need apply if the home is designed for a disabled person and if not the height can be raised. But obviously there is then the arguement that kids can access the distribution board and play with it (as tony mentioned) and as the board should be correct IP2X an IP4X over the years bad sparks or diyers can alter the board incorrectly so at this height it would be unsafe for children???

IMHO I think that the board should be at least 5' or 1.5m high (i.e.) out of reach for toddlers and young children.

Also I'd like to see a recommendation that on new builds and refurbs that its not hidden away at the back of a cupboard with full access from the front.

C.U. should be accessable without having to use steps or in back of cupboards mins is in a nice wee cupboard under the stairs accessible but LOCKED to prevent little miss fingeres everywhere gaining access to it lol

This is a good example of how NOT to do it (and no it wasn't me!!!!!!!)

CU Bad Location.jpg

I was having a nosey around the showhouse on a new-build estate here recently, & noticed the CU was mounted in the entrance hall with the top against the ceiling & one end right against the top corner of the window frame thus preventing the fitting of a curtain rail & obscuring that part of the window !!!

When I questioned this with the sales lady who was showing me around her reply was "Well, this is just the showhouse" !!!

The mind boggles !!!

Reply to height of distribution board?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net