Discuss help for a newbie given a lack of info in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BigBadBeard

Hi all.

Any help with this would be great.

have been asked to wire up a garden office for the people who sell them. it is at, and supplied from, the garden centre. was told it was a board 50 meters from the office base so i sent 16mm2 cable for a 63A supply.

have since been sent these pics of supply point.
speke supply.JPGspeke supply 2.JPGspeke supply 3.JPG

Being a 'part p'er i am not all that familiar with 3 phase. and its 10 years since my college days messing about with it in the classroom.

Basically i need to install a single phase 63A board 50meters from here in a wooden garden office and there is allready 3 core 16mm cable buried from point to point.

Hellllppp

thanks

1st thing i would do is to check the earth, looks like its just the armour which isn`t good and the termination point seems to have no lug, though that could be underneath, and to be rusty. Assuming that is your exporting the earth at all. Then check the 3 phases at the point of origin. You have 3 phases there and a neutral. You can take your single phase from one of those but be careful that in so doing you dont overload that phase at the point of origin.

Last edited:
1st thing i would do is to check the earth, looks like its just the armour which isn`t good and the termination point seems to have no lug, though that could be underneath, and to be rusty. Assuming that is your exporting the earth at all. Then check the 3 phases at the point of origin. You have 3 phases there and a neutral. You can take your single phase from one of those but be careful that in so doing you dont overload that phase at the point of origin.

Thanks.

I have just been to see a friend of mine who lectures and is a member of the IET. He was huffing and puffing and arms flayling around due to the lack of information and the endless possibilities. Basically, it comes down to me needing to look at it or be given a damn good description of supply, cable length and size etc..

One sugestion (providing volt drop calcs out ok when cable identified) was to replace this rotary with an IP rated 3phase board with TT earth then run my 16mm 1phase cable to a 1phase board in the building with TT there also (to comply with section 7 special locations).

So, my next question is 'does anybody know which type/make of board would be good for the position i need it in'?

And if anybody can add anything or comment, all info greatly appreciated!

cheers:martini_shaken:

hi all.

Any help with this would be great.

Have been asked to wire up a garden office for the people who sell them. It is at, and supplied from, the garden centre. Was told it was a board 50 meters from the office base so i sent 16mm2 cable for a 63a supply.

Have since been sent these pics of supply point.
View attachment 11238View attachment 11239View attachment 11240

being a 'part p'er i am not all that familiar with 3 phase. And its 10 years since my college days messing about with it in the classroom.

Basically i need to install a single phase 63a board 50meters from here in a wooden garden office and there is allready 3 core 16mm cable buried from point to point.

Hellllppp

thanks
i recomend employing a jib aprentice served electrician.3 phase kills.if your not competent you should leave well alone.there are implications for your public liability and health and safety issues.regards

Thanks Henry, your concern is noted. As far as installing and testing this equipment goes, i'm ok. It is more a case of which products to achieve what i'm after.

In reply to Tony, in mine and a few other peoples interpretation this install falls under/within/somewhere between section 708 + 711 where PME supplies are prohibited and TT's provide the discrimination needed for RCD's in series.

Thanks Henry, your concern is noted. As far as installing and testing this equipment goes, i'm ok. It is more a case of which products to achieve what i'm after.

In reply to Tony, in mine and a few other peoples interpretation this install falls under/within/somewhere between section 708 + 711 where PME supplies are prohibited and TT's provide the discrimination needed for RCD's in series.

Unless there's a sauna going in there, where in Part 7 is PME precluded from use in supplying a 'garden office' and how does 'TT provide discrimination for RCD's in series'?

I'll just give up. Thank you all for not just calling me an idiot outright.

You won't get called an idiot here but what you will get is some good advice based on different scenarios and some questions to help make that advice more applicable to what you have there.

Doesn't matter what earthing system is being used, the only reliable form of RCD discrimination is by time delay. I think your probably yet another victim of PME scaremongery... lol!!

Having read this thread I don't see what the problem is.
You have a TPNE supply at what appears to be an IP65 rated isolator, poorly made off I'll admit.

I suspect that there are issues, but, there are two respected members on the thread who have contributed to this point once each, whom I have fallen out with, and all I am prepared to say is the C word I have said before to you and you know who you are, and IMHO this is just more reason to reinforce "my" point which seems to be the one that you did not like with respect to audiences!

If by the “C” word your spot on “Confused” on my part.

No mention was made of PME until after my post.

You can only go on information given. To whit I didn’t give advise I asked a question!

Last edited by a moderator:
If by the “C” word your spot on “Confused” on my part.

No mention was made of PME until after my post.

You can only go on information given. To whit I didn’t give advise I asked a question!

It's Just more meaningless crap Tony, just ignore his innuendo's!!!

Reply to help for a newbie given a lack of info in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net