Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Help pricing a job please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

onfire25

Hi guys.....how much would you say is a fair rate for the below works?

Supply and fit new Crabtree 12way dual RCD split load consumer unit. Install new ring final for garage sockets. Correct outside lights wiring. Place existing surface mounted cables in garage within containment. Chase out wall in airing cupboard and mechanically joint damaged cables.
Included within the quotation is the mandatory Inspection, Testing and Certification of the entire electrical installation following the consumer unit change.

Price i have for all parts i need for job is £133.26 inc VAT.....i mark that up by 20% so im looking at charging £159.91 just materials.

Im coming up with a price of £760 for the above job inc all parts and labour.......how does that sound? Im starting out as self employed so not quite got experiance in pricing jobs yet.......any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Why a ring final in the garage?
Only put the cable drops into conduit in the garage?

As for the price will you make profit on the £760 & will the customer swallow £760?

for that price I assume your doing the Equip bonding aswel

Ring in garage as he wants 9 doubles in there.....bit overkill but he does have a few appliences in there. Putting cables in trunking to give mechanical protection, gardening stuff hanging on walls etc.

The bonding is ok......1st thing i checked.....10mm2 to gas and water, 16mm2 from intake to existing CU.

In respect of profit ive worked it out to £300.09.....its prob a day and a halfs work inc the test and inspect and i know there will be issues as he is a hairdresser and he's done electrical work in the house......hence outside lights being rewired as currently through a 13amp plug top through a switch into a JB then off to the lights! His father in law drilled through cables in the airing cupboard putting up shelves, he's had someone install non fire rated down lights in the house but they have wired in 0.5 2core! poss sterio power cable bathroom lights are GU10

Change CU, 1 day, the rest of what you describe, 1 day - so 2 days imho. And don't forget you need to cost in a couple of hours to do the invoice and certificate and notification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Onfire

Guessing prices higher down 'tharrrr' than up 'ere' so sounds a little bit low BUT: as someone said will customer swallow the existing price? Is it a good 'first' job as a self employed?

Alot of it only you can answer.

Not sure on pricing.....thats my problem......how much would you charge for the works?

I've dropped the quote to £660 which for all works mentioned i personally feel is a good fair price.....will the customer swollow it.....pass.....as im sure you know.....people want the work done but dont want to pay.

Example.....he had down lighters installed by one of his clients husband......who is not a spark. He installed 5x GU10 no IP protection down lights in the bathroom!! but to make it worse he used .5mm flat 2core cable. The inline extractor is not wired through a TP isolator giving local isolation. Obtained 5x polished chrome IP65 12v down lights, 5x trany and lamps....parts cost to customer £87.11, ive said £85 labour to strip out incorrect wiring and rewire in 1.5mm T&E and also provide local isolaton for extractor fan.......and he's now umming and arring about that!....i thought that was quite reasonable?!

I already undercut myself for him as tuesday gone i converted a single socket to a double, chased up for a single spur. Also chased another single box in for a TV point and then up into the loft to connect to aerial. Opposite side of room he wanted 2 double sockets.....for either side of bed therefore chased out, 2x floorboards cut and popped, ring final extended to include new sockets. I supplied cable and 20mm ovel conduit. Chasing didnt take long as i have single and double box cutters and channelling tool. All that works there for a bargin of.........£70 (think i bent over on that one and shafted myself!).

Soooo frustrating.....people pay mechanics say £45ph labour or £35ph chriopractor etc etc......us sparks seem to be considered worthless by jo public and no understanding or appreciation that this is a skilled proffessional job and costs a lot of money to get where we are and in doing the works properly. Quite tempted to say get that other bloke back to do more dodgy works then let me know so i can pop past every now and then to see if the house is still standing and a loose netural etc has not caused a fire.Quote 001.jpg

A couple of observations about your estimate, no address, no phone number(s), no scam membership logo, and I always note my scam membership number too.

No address as im not posting my personal home address nor my customers address etc!

I have yesterday paid for the NICEIC Domestic installer scheme £478.80 inc VAT

I've C&G 2330 pts 1, 2 & 3
2382 - 16th-17th update

Im not a scammer and i love my job and pride myself in doing quality work and service. Gone self employed as ****ed off of being told to just bang it in or lash it in etc etc.

No address as im not posting my personal home address nor my customers address etc!

I have yesterday paid for the NICEIC Domestic installer scheme £478.80 inc VAT

I've C&G 2330 pts 1, 2 & 3
2382 - 16th-17th update

Im not a scammer and i love my job and pride myself in doing quality work and service. Gone self employed as ****ed off of being told to just bang it in or lash it in etc etc.

I wasn't having a dig at you and did wonder if you'd deliberately left the addresses off BUT I would recommend the NICEIC logo be added, along with your registration number, plus if its notifiable state that the pricing includes testing, certificate and notification.

Just a side note on the quote lay out too, but i would break the quote down even further and show individual prices for each aspect of the job. Will remove any shadows of doubt the customer may have about whats costing what etc and make it easier for them to digest the full amount.

For example:

1. PIR conducted - £140
2. Supply and fit new 12 way D/RCD board - (daaan safff) i'd be charging £350-400 all in.
3. Repair outside lighting (based on an hourly rate as you will have no idea how long this take and what you may come across, lets assume 3 hours @ £30ph) £90
4. Repair airing cupboard wiring, 2 hours - £60
5. Add mechanical protection to garage wiring by way of fixed wall mounted conduit - 3-4 hours? big garage? lets say 3. - £90

Already we are at £640, not having taken into account materials (£160) travelling time, cert writing, and any possible snags you may come across that could seriously slow you down.

So i would be inclined, if i was you, to review again your first estimate as to me, in this part of the country, its a more realistic figure. I would be going in at £750.

I hope that hasnt come across in away a patronising reply, it was certainly not intended that way, just my scope on things mate. Good luck with the job.

B

As soon as i have my NICEIC registration number etc it will be going on all my paperwork.....just still awaiting my assessment :-(.....didnt think having a dig and i do appologise if came across abrupt.

Is there mistakes in there or are you on about in general?.....i write my quotes etc in word then spell check then paste into quote/invoice software

Just a side note on the quote lay out too, but i would break the quote down even further and show individual prices for each aspect of the job. Will remove any shadows of doubt the customer may have about whats costing what etc and make it easier for them to digest the full amount.

For example:

1. PIR conducted - £140
2. Supply and fit new 12 way D/RCD board - (daaan safff) i'd be charging £350-400 all in.
3. Repair outside lighting (based on an hourly rate as you will have no idea how long this take and what you may come across, lets assume 3 hours @ £30ph) £90
4. Repair airing cupboard wiring, 2 hours - £60
5. Add mechanical protection to garage wiring by way of fixed wall mounted conduit - 3-4 hours? big garage? lets say 3. - £90

Already we are at £640, not having taken into account materials (£160) travelling time, cert writing, and any possible snags you may come across that could seriously slow you down.

So i would be inclined, if i was you, to review again your first estimate as to me, in this part of the country, its a more realistic figure. I would be going in at £750.

I hope that hasnt come across in away a patronising reply, it was certainly not intended that way, just my scope on things mate. Good luck with the job.

B

Appreciate your comments.....thank you. Point noted re breaking down cost further.....i had already emaild the quote to him but should i speak i will break down over the phone but it will be something to do for going forward.

I had broken down the other parts to the job to come to overall price but just gave overall to customer as you can see.

I was going on:

CU swap and test £460 inc parts
New garage skts £120 inc parts cable etc
Correct outside lighting and place on un-protected side of the board on a 6A RCCBO £70
Chase and joint damaged cables in airing cupboard £60
Mechanical protection for cabelling in garage £50

Tot £760.......but to make it easier to swollow as someone mentioned at start of thread i knocked £100 off to make £660 all in.

I think the problem is is where he's had work done on the cheap before he doesnt realise the true cost in doing a job right.......but how do you tell them that without it seeming like your shoving an egg in their mouth to suck.....and come across really patronising!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there mistakes in there or are you on about in general?.....i write my quotes etc in word then spell check then paste into quote/invoice software

On the contrary, I think your description is very good. And I wouldn't break it down from the total price unless specifically asked.

On the contrary, I think your description is very good. And I wouldn't break it down from the total price unless specifically asked.

Will take that as a compliment......I’m a complete newbie to writing quotes/invoices etc and to be honest it took me ages last night trying to get the wording right.....come across professional and at the same time.....easy to understand.

I can see the pros and cons of breaking down quote and not.....on one hand shows exactly what’s being charged where but then on the other it opens you up for 'why charge that when all you got to do is join a few cables'......catch 22 :-(

I can see the pros and cons of breaking down quote and not.....on one hand shows exactly what’s being charged where but then on the other it opens you up for 'why charge that when all you got to do is join a few cables'......catch 22 :-(

And that is exactly why not to break down the "steps" - some clients specifically ask for it so you have to but I wouldn't be doing it as a matter of course!

No not mistakes mate, just a difference of lay out preferences. What i was getting at was not about the grammar/and or punctuation, just how you present the quote on paper.

I find sometimes that if your going to present a client with a big bill, they will want to see exactly how that bill has been built to achieve the grand total.

Put it this way, imagine you take your motor in for a service, and they just throw you a quote for £500, your going to want to know exactly how that £500 was achieved and what your getting for your money, after all its a lot of money and you want to make sure its a just and fair price. So when you set a quote out, i personally feel, to give yourself the best foot forward, its always best to be very honest (of course) and give a detailed and fair break down of each and every element of the forthcoming job. This negates any confusion and allows the customer to see the wood from the trees with total clarity.

Just writing a grand total down could be a little ambiguous and throw people off the quote.

oops i replied to what i thought was a comment intended for me.... hadn't noticed the further 6 posts after the comment i left. red face haha. :dunce2:

Reply to Help pricing a job please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net