Discuss help testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kevc1983

hi guys testing houses and the board has all rcbos, whats the best way to do insulation test without damaging lights, sensitive equipment?? guidance book says link l&n togetherand test between this and earth? but dont understand how this doesnt damage equipment? also the pfcc and pscc, i know on the the pscc you put your earth and neutral leads on the main neutral side but what do u do on the pfcc side both on the earth bar? is this the same for the zs both on the main earth,have got a kewtech meter but no book! hope yous can help

If you link the line and neutral together you are sticking the test voltage 500v up both conductors together, so the voltage at either side of the load cancels out to zero, zero volts equals no damage. BUT, this does not apply to dimmers as they are (or should be) in the Line conductor, so these need wiring out whatever method you use. Get some instructions for your test gear, or you may damage any of Yourself, the installation or the test instrument. This will explain how to connect your kit to do PEFC and or PSCC, mine does both together and gives the highest reading, and will also do Line to Line, but if i explain how i do it on mine, and yours is different you may die.

Cheers......Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys testing houses and the board has all rcbos, whats the best way to do insulation test without damaging lights, sensitive equipment?? guidance book says link l&n togetherand test between this and earth? but dont understand how this doesnt damage equipment? also the pfcc and pscc, i know on the the pscc you put your earth and neutral leads on the main neutral side but what do u do on the pfcc side both on the earth bar? is this the same for the zs both on the main earth,have got a kewtech meter but no book! hope yous can help

Kev, do you consider yourself to be competent to carry out a periodic inspection of someones home?

You need to do some serious reading of Guidance Note 3 for the sake of you and your occupiers/clients.

he cant be working in someones home testing, inspecting and charging them money, im sure he is just learning at home and gaining experience first. You could not carry out a worthwhile PIR and be asking basic questions on a forum could you?
You really need to speak to your college tutor and get him to explain some fundamentals of electrical science ie potential difference.

suggest purchasing chris kirchers guide to inspection and testing, along with GN3 if you've not already got it.

Kev
If you put the croc clips on line and netural and got a bulb on the end it will light up.
If you do this with 500v dc ie from your tester, Mr bulb wont like it.
When you join l+n together and test to CPC your not making a curcuit for the current to flow.
And if you dont really know what your doing with PFC and PCSS id say STOP.
You ll either blow the fuse in your meter or the fuse in your Body(this 1 cant be bought cos your ll be dead)
Firstly get GN3 read that then get the instrutions for your meter. Go to kewtech webby and d/l the instrutions mate they are on there :)

cheers guys just learning at the moment, just alot of confusion over the 3 lead probes, looked up the kewtech website and they give the pscc test in red onto line, black onto neutral and green onto neutral but doesnt tell you when you are doing pefc test ,do you put the black and green leads onto the earth bar or the black onto neutral and green onto earth bar, some books give either description. and also is this just the mains supply or do you leave the main switch and breakers on??

Reply to help testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net