Currently reading:
Help with knowledge of grounding system.

Discuss Help with knowledge of grounding system. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

captdgf

DIY
Reaction score
Hello I'm a DIY'er seeking advice and clarity. I currently have no grounding system on my house. I do not have an outside main shutoff. My service meter is bolted to the outside of my basement then the service entry cable runs into my basement to my main panel. The panel is a square d homeline plug on neutral. It has a busbar on each side with the green bonding screw in it. It does not have separate ground bus bars, the grounds and nuetrals from the branch circuts are on the same bars. 1st question if a grounding rod is installed outside and a #4 copper wire is attached to it does it connect at the meter or at the main panel inside? I've been told both by electricians. If it's connected to the panel does a ground busbar need to be installed or does it connect directly to the panel? Again I've been told both. Then if it connects to a ground busbar does the grounds and neutrals need to be separated inside the panel? Last question. If it connects inside the main panel should I still bond the panel to the only copper water pipe left inside my basement? Which is about 1 ft in length where it enters the house then the rest of my pluming is pex. The distance between the main panel and the copper water pipe is approximately 50 ft following the walls of the basement. It is currently an unfinished basement. Not sure if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If just for knowing when I talk to an electrician about this job I'll be more informed and be able to ask better questions. Thank you

Hello I'm a DIY'er seeking advice and clarity. I currently have no grounding system on my house. I do not have an outside main shutoff. My service meter is bolted to the outside of my basement then the service entry cable runs into my basement to my main panel. The panel is a square d homeline plug on neutral. It has a busbar on each side with the green bonding screw in it. It does not have separate ground bus bars, the grounds and nuetrals from the branch circuts are on the same bars. 1st question if a grounding rod is installed outside and a #4 copper wire is attached to it does it connect at the meter or at the main panel inside? I've been told both by electricians. If it's connected to the panel does a ground busbar need to be installed or does it connect directly to the panel? Again I've been told both. Then if it connects to a ground busbar does the grounds and neutrals need to be separated inside the panel? Last question. If it connects inside the main panel should I still bond the panel to the only copper water pipe left inside my basement? Which is about 1 ft in length where it enters the house then the rest of my pluming is pex. The distance between the main panel and the copper water pipe is approximately 50 ft following the walls of the basement. It is currently an unfinished basement. Not sure if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If just for knowing when I talk to an electrician about this job I'll be more informed and be able to ask better questions. Thank you
To start with you already have a ground rod somewhere, probably next to the meter base. The first panel after the power company’s meter is required by the NEC to be bonded to the neutral bar and using # 6 bare wire to the ground rod, this can be accomplished in the meter base or the panel. Neutrals and grounds can be installed on the same bars and that’s what your green screw is for. Are you saying that you have no equipment grounds in your house ? The first panel sounds like it’s up to code. Isolating the neutrals from the equipment grounds only comes into play when a sub panel is installed.

To start with you already have a ground rod somewhere, probably next to the meter base. The first panel after the power company’s meter is required by the NEC to be bonded to the neutral bar and using # 6 bare wire to the ground rod, this can be accomplished in the meter base or the panel. Neutrals and grounds can be installed on the same bars and that’s what your green screw is for. Are you saying that you have no equipment grounds in your house ? The first panel sounds like it’s up to code. Isolating the neutrals from the equipment grounds only comes into play when a sub panel is installed.
Ty for your reply. If I misspoke I apologize each branch circut coming from the main panel in the house, going to plugs, lighting, and equipment does have a ground wire in the panel. The service entrance does have a #6 ground wire from the meter to the main panel, but the sevice wire coming into the meter does no.
So I do need to bond the panel to my copper piping next to where it enters the ground? And if there is no ground coming into the meter then one needs to be added correct?
I do appreciate the help

Ty for your reply. If I misspoke I apologize each branch circut coming from the main panel in the house, going to plugs, lighting, and equipment does have a ground wire in the panel. The service entrance does have a #6 ground wire from the meter to the main panel, but the sevice wire coming into the meter does no.
So I do need to bond the panel to my copper piping next to where it enters the ground? And if there is no ground coming into the meter then one needs to be added correct?
I do appreciate the help
The power company only brings in 3 wires which is 2 live and 1 neutral wire. It’s our responsibility to add the ground rod to bond the neutral inside panel. You will then have a 4 wire service. I really don’t know how the electrical company who did the installation and the bonding done the arrangement but yes go ahead and bond the water pipe. Your service should be fine. Good luck and welcome to the forum. If this information doesn’t help you just let us know.

Reply to Help with knowledge of grounding system. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock