Discuss Horn wire steering wheel in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

linux44

Hi all

I am very confuaed trying to fix my horn

I have an omp aftermarket wheel which has a red connector attached to the Hub metal bit and available as spade connector to connet to the horn button
Then the horn has two tabs for spade connectors which are ground and positive

Ground is making contact with a hub using a little latch on the back of the horn button so you don't have to wire it

I have a relay which has direct power and ground from battery, a leg going to horn and a leg to the switch which is plugged to the horn button on the hub

This doesn't work however if I touch the horn red wire previously plugged to wheel positive connector the horn works

What am i doing wrong here?

on relay,

30 to live positive direct feed
85 ground direct feed
87 to horn
86 to back of the hub which is grounded but has no other power going to it
horn is then grounded

Hi all

I am very confuaed trying to fix my horn

I have an omp aftermarket wheel which has a red connector attached to the Hub metal bit and available as spade connector to connet to the horn button
Then the horn has two tabs for spade connectors which are ground and positive

Ground is making contact with a hub using a little latch on the back of the horn button so you don't have to wire it

I have a relay which has direct power and ground from battery, a leg going to horn and a leg to the switch which is plugged to the horn button on the hub

This doesn't work however if I touch the horn red wire previously plugged to wheel positive connector the horn works

What am i doing wrong here?

on relay,

30 to live positive direct feed
85 ground direct feed
87 to horn
86 to back of the hub which is grounded but has no other power going to it
horn is then grounded
What relay have you got?????

wheel positive connector the horn works

The wheel doesn't have a 'positive' connector, it is only switching the negative.

If you are switching the negative, then the relay needs a permanent positive feed on the coil AS WELL as on pin 30. So, when you say it worked when you "touch the horn red wire", do you mean you temporarily connected it to a positive supply?

That would make sense at the moment because you gave the coil a positive and negative supply, but by pressing the horn, you are feeding two negatives to the coil (one permanent on pin 85 and one switched on pin 86).

See this...

How to Wire Relays - Convert a Negative Output to a Positive Output - http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html

On most relays the polarity of the coil is irrelevant, but you should use 86 for the permanent positive and 85 for the switched negative, in case the relay is ever changed for one with a diode across the coil.

Gaz :)

Last edited:
Ok the wheel is an aftermarket wheel it may not have a provision to supply a +ve feed to work the relay.
You are sending a -ve to the relay via the hub so the relay coil is getting -ve on 85 and -ve on 86 so the relay will not work.
Remove the "ground" -ve from the relay terminal 85 and then run a supply to terminal 85 from 30 +ve.ie ad a small link wire.
Please ensure you use correct terminals to connect taping wires together will cause fires.

View attachment 35039

Reply to Horn wire steering wheel in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net