Discuss Hot tub installation upgrade of cable help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pzool

I am buying myself a hot tub which requires a 6mm/32 amp service. I have a garage unit which has a spare to fit this extra supply to (no problem). i have measured the diameter of the cores on the SWA cable running from the weatherproof junction box outside of my house to the garage and the flat TW&E cable running from the circuit board to the same weatherproof junction box, this measures 2.5mm!

As the tub requires 6mm, i must presume that i need to update the 2.5mm SWA and Flat TW&E to 6mm. if so though the SWA would be easy to replace, how about the cable from the circuit board to the junction box? has anyone known to sucessfully disconnect both ends and pull a new cable through with the new one attached??

To be fair the cable coming from the circuit board would be doing an 's' shape?? not too sure whether to give this a tug hoping this will pull through or the other option is to put a new cable in a route all the way around my house - not ideal.

If anything please confirm that i am required to upgrade to 6mm, any suggestions please - thank you.

Hi pzool, you may need a bigger cable than 6mm depending on a number of factors that need considering when selecting the cable. Also earthing arrangement, RCD protection, bonding, etc. It may not be as straight forward as just upgrading the cable to 6mm.

You need to seek an approved electricians advice. Hot Tubs are a special beast as you are outside the protection of your dwelling, you shall require not only a suitable sized supply but special earthing arrangements, correct RCD rating and to ensure there is nothing else that can a path to earth within close proximity to the tub. Make sure your electrician is full registered member of the NICEIC/ECA.

Same as what Lee and Philip (welcome to the forum btw) have said, this needs to be designed and installed by an electrician to ensure that everything has been checked and is safe.

hang on..... OP has measured the diameter of the cores so maybe he's got a suitable cable there. however, as previous posts, a spark needs to assess.

posting your location would help. 1 of us may be close.

Looks like 2.5mm dia on a cable will not be 6mm Tel.

To the OP: Just out of curiosity, what size breaker is fitted on the house CU for the garage?

Thank you for the advice. i will consult a local qualified NICEIC/ECA sparky thank you.

I thought you were a qualified spark. In one of your previous posts you state that you have the 2391 etc.

2.5mm dia will give a csa of 4.9. so could be 4mm or 6mm, depending in how accurate his measurement was. i'm betting it's 6mm or imperial equiv. ( unless his measurement included the insulation, in which case we're up ****e street without a paddle).

Last edited:
You need to seek an approved electricians advice. Hot Tubs are a special beast as you are outside the protection of your dwelling, you shall require not only a suitable sized supply but special earthing arrangements, correct RCD rating and to ensure there is nothing else that can a path to earth within close proximity to the tub. Make sure your electrician is full registered member of the NICEIC/ECA.

Why NICEIC only - what is wrong with the other organisations? Daz

Why would the sparks need to be NICEIC/ECA registered?

2.5mm dia will give a csa of 4.9. so could be 4mm or 6mm, depending in how accurate his measurement was. i'm betting it's 6mm or imperial equiv. ( unless his measurement included the insulation, in which case we're up ****e street without a paddle).

Sorry mate. I was thinking the OP measures the insulation.

Lets not get carried away with the whole NICEIC thing gents. As we are all well aware all schemes are money makers. When i asked my local NICEIC inspector some years ago HOW a particular man ( will not use the word electrician, tradesmen or even donkey ) had managed to get registration his answer was " If we dont another scheme will " . For us time sereved up to date electricains who WILL only do the job the correct way it is demoralising when we are competing against guys that tie there horse up outside. I frequently tell customers to use NICEIC or ECA recognised memebers and as it was a Hot Tub that can not be certified under Part P, this was my recommendation. As Comment 7 said , give the location and I am sure a good qualified electrician can go and assess and help this guy out and have SAFE outcome.

Lets not get carried away with the whole NICEIC thing gents. As we are all well aware all schemes are money makers. When i asked my local NICEIC inspector some years ago HOW a particular man ( will not use the word electrician, tradesmen or even donkey ) had managed to get registration his answer was " If we dont another scheme will " . For us time sereved up to date electricains who WILL only do the job the correct way it is demoralising when we are competing against guys that tie there horse up outside. I frequently tell customers to use NICEIC or ECA recognised memebers and as it was a Hot Tub that can not be certified under Part P, this was my recommendation. As Comment 7 said , give the location and I am sure a good qualified electrician can go and assess and help this guy out and have SAFE outcome.

^^^ I like this guy already :wink: Same frame of mind as most of us on here. Welcome to the forum Philip, sure you will fit straight in :smile:

Reply to Hot tub installation upgrade of cable help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net