Discuss How can I ascertain if I am paying for someone else's electricity? Help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I take it as you're out in the sticks somewhere you have overhead power coming in from telegraph poles?
Just curious on how many lines you have coming into your property?

You have the right to have your meter tested, and if it has been tested by your supplier, you can have it independently tested.

I think my energy meter is faulty - Which? Consumer Rights

What exactly has your supplier done, to investigate your complaint?
Hi, They changed the meter, then said the meter was working fine after testing the new one. they won't look at wiring on the other side of the meter. they say it is not their problem.

Yes, if you assume £0.15 per kWh and 30 days for the £2,300 bill that is an average of around 21kW.

While it is possible, it is hard to see that coming off a 80A single phase supply giving it can't be constant.

Weed farms excluded....
if only i had a weed farm i could start paying these bills off! I have 3 phase, i think because the house was formerly part of a farm

All good advise, I want to concentrate on the supply meter, I would insist that the energy supplier do an accuracy test on the meter,2 ways load bank test or fit a check meter in series with your supply meter the latter is the only option if you have 3phase meter.
thanks, they have fitted a check meter and it read the same as the other meter. they refuse to look at if something else is somehow taking electricity from before or after the CU

I have in the past used energy monitors to get an idea of how much power each device in a factory is using.
you could buy a couple of these and put them on each of your heating units.
they are the most likley high usage devices you have.
if they account for 90% of the usage then i am afraid you will have to turn the heating down.
if they are less than 50% of your usage then i suspect you have a problem with either billing meter or a leech drawing your electricity for there own use.

Eco-Eye Smart PC - Eco-eye electricity monitors (eco-eye.com)

there may well be a member who can install them on different circuits for you at different times if you are not confident.
The weird thing is, i have two meters, the problem one, which came in at 2k for the month of dec has no heating or hot water on it. just lights, tech, toaster and kettle!!

it was partially rebuilt in 2016, so parts are old parts new.
I am going to get a spark to do a usage report on each circuit. you are right i need more info from a pro.
I am given one bill, which has the day and night reading on for each of the two meters and the numbers on the meters correspond with my meters. the bills have increased since lockdown (but the farm shop remains open as it is food=essential)
I think the property has 3 phas as it was part of the farm.
might i be paying for someone else's historical bill and they are not telling me?
Deffo can't have been built from scratch in 2016 since there appears to be old colour wiring involved in the utility cabling.

Was this a big renovation and/or partial demolition/rebuild job, and the utility area was existing?

At this point there is too much guessing involved and you need to get an electrician in to trace stuff and figure out what's going on. Without more pics and layout of the house/adjoining buildings etc it's just too difficult to give an accurate answer here.

Get a spark in to see what's going on and give any report he gives you to your electricity supplier to prove that they need to do a thorough investigation.

How are you billed? Are there two, one with two meters' numbers added together, just one? What do the numbers on the bill say - do they match up with one of the meters? Have your bills dropped since lockdown ie with places being shut?

I don't see why a three phase unit was put into a domestic dwelling unless you have tonnes of outbuildings or a business next door was being run off it. I have no experience in the UK but on the continent when i've seen a building+workshop set up it was either three phase or one single phase and one three phase supply. Two three phase supplies is just plain weird unless someone from Sweden has done it.

Do you have an energy monitor?
If so, I think we can get a good idea of usage just with an hour on the phone.
Send me your phone number via personal message if your up for the challenge.
P.s. it will not require opening of any electrical boxes.

Do you have an energy monitor?
If so, I think we can get a good idea of usage just with an hour on the phone.
Send me your phone number via personal message if your up for the challenge.
P.s. it will not require opening of any electrical boxes.
I have an efergy monitor that i used about a year ago, let me see if i can find it.

What tariff are you on, just wondering if you are paying a large fixed standard fee as it was a farm beforehand? (May of missed this in an earlier post).
A photo of the bill would help (redact your details).

Utilities Warehouse is basically a multi-level marketing company, I certainly wouldn't want anything to do with them. Twice now I've worked at the house of one of their 'partners' and had to deal with their pushy sales BS trying to get me or my girlfriend (whoever that is) to work for UW to 'earn extra income in my spare time'. The partners were both desperate (and I mean really really desperate) to recruit new sales members, presumably because that's the only way to make money in an MLM company. Imagine trying to work while they use their sales pitch on you the entire time you are there, not fun at all.

Imagine trying to work while they use their sales pitch on you the entire time you are there, not fun at all.

Try the reverse on them, pushing for a rewire or extra lights or energy features or any other crap you can think of to sell them.
Salesmen / Women are supposed to be the easiest ones to SELL TO.

I have had a “Tin Foil Hat Moment” no no don’t titter....

So the meter has been replaced, but it would be placed in the same position as the previous.

Seeing as everything is at a dead end.

Maybe the meter is getting rf/electrical interference. So cover the meter in tin foil. It’s easy and cheap.

I would be inclined to try the old spinning disc meter, on your side of the circuit of course.

It looks like something is making to meter read incorrectly at the property.

It looks like something is making to meter read incorrectly at the property.
Given the meter change it is far more likely to be a real load. But things are not always what they seem and it could be one or more of the following:
  • The OP's home really is using stupid amounts of power due to some error in the heating system.
  • Someone is leeching power off their home without knowing it (legacy wiring from before properties were separated/sold)
  • Someone is leeching power off deliberately for illegal use (pot plant farm, etc)
  • There is a short to earth with too high a Zs to trip but enough to sink ~40A in to some earthed object somewhere
Until we hear back from some systematic investigation by someone competent and careful, we can but guess!

Reply to How can I ascertain if I am paying for someone else's electricity? Help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock