Discuss How do we sort this one? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've got a 3w LED fitting (shower light, and fan combined), but a replacement lamp flashes. Why? What can I do to get a new one to work ok?
Thanks. Colin

A little more detail please.
Is the light 12v? Ie through a transformer…. Should be a driver if it’s LED….
Does the fan have a run on timer?
Does the light flash when it should be on or off?

Hi Littlespark. Thanks for your reply. It's def 12v, with a transformer. It's def LED and has its original 3w lamp (Ice White). It was installed last year by a qual electrician. The fan does have a run-on timer. The new lamp flashes when the light is switched on. It stops flashing when the light is switched off. There's a label in the housing which I could send you if that might help. Thanks. Colin

Any labels or instructions, just photograph and post up here.

Was it originally an LED lamp or a halogen?
Some transformers just aren’t compatible with LED.

I had one of these where the light was getting back fed from the run on timer of the fan.
Solved by rewiring the switch and making it double pole so it cut the neutral to the light, but not the fan.

Colin…. That’s a good name, that is… 😉

Any labels or instructions, just photograph and post up here.

Was it originally an LED lamp or a halogen?
Some transformers just aren’t compatible with LED.

I had one of these where the light was getting back fed from the run on timer of the fan.
Solved by rewiring the switch and making it double pole so it cut the neutral to the light, but not the fan.

Colin…. That’s a good name, that is… 😉
Hi Littlespark..... that's a very good name as well!
I've attached a pic of the label inside the extractor fan / shower light.
It's a new fitting this March, and LED. It replaced a halogen one, but that was fully discarded. This is wholly LED. Current lamp is LED. Replacement Lamp is LED.
Does the label give you any hints of what's needed?
Thanks, Colin

Attachments

• Label for Shower Light and Extractor Fam - Oct2022.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 4

Reply to How do we sort this one? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net