Discuss How to get rid of an isolator switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Help2213

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 isolator switches in my flat that appear to do nothing. Turning them on or off does not change any electrical appliance and the lights don't come on on the isolator switches. The wiring is also black in both live and neutral sockets with one green earth (see picture) which has slightly thrown me. I'm about to get a multimeter to test if they are live (all other wires in my house are the more recent brown/blue/yellow&green). If they are live is it reasonable to put them in a wako lever connector and then in a junction box that's left in the wall and plaster over the hole?

Cheers

Attachments

• 20211106_094135.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211106_094128.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 17
Under no circumstances if they are live put the into Wagos and plaster over. Using a multi-meter to verify if they are live is not a reliable or safe means for testing. I would recommend you get an electrician to verify if they are or can be made live.

Under no circumstances if they are live put the into Wagos and plaster over. Using a multi-meter to verify if they are live is not a reliable or safe means for testing. I would recommend you get an electrician to verify if they are or can be made live.
Thanks for the reply, why is a multi-meter not reliable, out of interest? The plan was to put them in wagos and then in a chocolate box but I take from what you're saying is that having potentially live wires in a wall which is not easily accessible is risky even if secured in a choc box as there is always the risk they could come loose?

Are these isolators old economy 7 storage heater points by any chance
I have no idea but this one and one other are about 2m from the ground whereas I would have though an isolator for a heater would be closer to the ground level?

Reply to How to get rid of an isolator switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net