Discuss How to wire a beer pump with LED lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GeeMac

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I have got my hands on some beer pumps, the come with LED lights built in but Im not sure on how to power them,

wires from the LED going into what looks liske a black box with capacitors in it then another purple and orange wire coming out of that to where id supply it, is it as straightforward as wiring a plug on or do i need transformers etc? thanks for amy advice

All beer pump lights I have seen are powered by way of a transformer and the wires you describe indicates yours does also.

I Have tried uploading a picture but its not working for some reason,

Thanks for the reply, So I need a transformer then? What spec should it be.

There is a bit of a glitch at the moment putting up images.
Most beer pump lighting transformers were 24v ac however there is no guarantee yours will run from this.

Yes they normally come with a lead and plug already connected. The 24v supplies clip under the red and black levers. I would personally confirm that yours will run from this first.

is there a way of telling? im still trying to upload a picture.
[automerge]1588581782[/automerge]
The circuit board says 24vAc where the purple and orange wires connect to

Attachments

• received_232870367814956.gif
    301.2 KB · Views: 19
It looks like the board in the pump is the power supply and you just need a mains plug on the end of the white cable.
A better pic of the board would help.
Looks like the last image loaded OK. Apparently the fault hasnt been fixed yet..

One option is to put your image on Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload - https://postimages.org/
and put the thumbnail for forums link on here

it says "DC out" on the bottom 2 terminals. seems to be a bridge rectifier on the PCB (4 diodes) so i imagine the top terminals are 24V AC in. this tallies with rectifying the AC to DC for the LEDs. still needs a 240V/24V transformer.

and those terminals need a good cleaning. looks like they had beer spilt on them.

it says "DC out" on the bottom 2 terminals

That's probably just identifying the function of the PCB, the input will be on the purple and orange wires, standard colours for 24V AC. The top 4 terminals are marked + - + - likely for the DC output to the LEDs, and appear to have connections to the electrolytic caps.

Reply to How to wire a beer pump with LED lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net