Discuss I need advice on rewiring my workshop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need advice on whether or not I can use the original wires that bring power into my detached structure.
The photos show the exterior connection from the power lines that would have a dial from the power company when active. It's currently not active. Another photo shows the exterior wiring running along the wall and entering the structure. Another photo shows the old breaker box that I want to replace with a modern one and the wires coming into it from the outside. There is a ground wire. I'm not sure what the wire gauge is. The old wiring does have a rubbery kind of insulation wrapped in cloth. It seems to be pretty well intact.

Question: Is it legal for me to keep the wiring up to the breaker if I connected it to a new breaker box? Also. Any advice on determining the gauge of wire. It is copper, and I see 7 strands. Each strand is 1/16” exactly measured with my calipers.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• PXL_20210710_183400755.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20210710_183417840.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210710_183440464.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20210710_183448855.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 28
I need advice on whether or not I can use the original wires that bring power into my detached structure.
The photos show the exterior connection from the power lines that would have a dial from the power company when active. It's currently not active. Another photo shows the exterior wiring running along the wall and entering the structure. Another photo shows the old breaker box that I want to replace with a modern one and the wires coming into it from the outside. There is a ground wire. I'm not sure what the wire gauge is. The old wiring does have a rubbery kind of insulation wrapped in cloth. It seems to be pretty well intact.

Question: Is it legal for me to keep the wiring up to the breaker if I connected it to a new breaker box? Also. Any advice on determining the gauge of wire. It is copper, and I see 7 strands. Each strand is 1/16” exactly measured with my calipers.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
If I was you I would tear out all the old stuff and start from scratch and especially the meter base. The size wire you have right now is 1/0 aluminum wire which in my opinion needs to go. Good luck

Only a fool would even think of using any part of that wiring ! .Remove every single bit .Plan a new set up and go from there .

I agree with others here, replace it as going to have to get a permit to reestablish power anyway, and the equipment was past it's prime 60 years ago. I doubt it would be allowed to be reconnected without new equipment.

Reply to I need advice on rewiring my workshop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net