Discuss In-line extractor fan mounted vertically in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Does it make a difference?

My FILs bathroom fan had stopped working, and after checking power was where it needs to be, conclusion is fan is faulty

“I could have told you that… it doesn’t work!”

The fan isn’t too old, and I’m wondering if the way it’s been mounted is causing too much strain.
Vertically, blowing air straight up.
Maybe it would work better horizontal?

I remember from mechanical engineering courses that different forces act on the turning bearings depending on orientation, but not sure when it’s something so small.

Personally I can't see the load on bearings, etc, being that much different.

Maybe condensation runs "wrong places" that way?

Still, would be very surprised if such a fan was not suited to both horizontal and vertical orientation, more likely just a random failure.

I was just thinking about it when i was driving home... Im sure it should work either way... as ceiling mounted fans are orientated that way.

Should be a fun job.... squashed up in an attic with the fan siliconed into the outlet pipework.

I have had this conversation with a few fan manufacturers over a number of years and some fans are designed to optimally operate in a particular orientation
The other problem with vertically mounted fans can be condensation or as I had on one job rainwater (wind in the right direction forcing water into the outlet) running back into the fan which can be solved by fitting a condensation trap

#3, you read it right…. I said “siliconed” into the pipework.
I guess a builder did this bit.

I must go back soon to this…. I left my good pliers up there.

F0075914-F753-4ECE-A4C2-862C4DF5ADD1.jpeg

The other problem with vertically mounted fans can be condensation or as I had on one job rainwater (wind in the right direction forcing water into the outlet) running back into the fan which can be solved by fitting a condensation trap
I have seen the outlet from a shower fan directed into the cold water tank and not vented through the roof. 🤔

Hmm, well at least recycling the water...
Its not a bad idea actually... water saving.

Ok... well i got a new fan, exact same as one that was there and stuck it up, exactly as it was .... (found my pliers, which was good)
And..... it didn't work.

Might have been something to do with the wasp buzzing about my head, and me not paying attention... but the "exactly the same" fan had the Live, Switched live and neutral in a different order on the new one.... so SW/L and N wrong way round.

I take it there is one of these on the top of the soilstack/extractor pipe ?

yeah... probably.

Ive got a good idea who would have mounted the fan like that in the first place, just know it wasnt me.
I also didnt wire it up to a separate switch, ie, not on the lights.... But still has a run on timer..... and it wasnt me that fitted 50W halogen downlights and covered them in glass wool.

They have all been changed to LED, but i can tell there's been some heat generated up there looking at the top of the plasterboard ceiling.

Reply to In-line extractor fan mounted vertically in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net