Discuss Incoming tails problem, loss of power in apartment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So, we have power. Mystery solved. The perfect storm of mistakes hit at once. Firstly, all the meters in the meter cupboard have been marked up incorrectly, So the meter guy changed the meter for what he believed was the correct flat. It wasn't. It now transpires that another meter company were on site earlier on the day he lost power. He didn't know this till yesterday after talking to another resident. Turns out that they had isolated the wrong property. This also explains why i had healthy readings at one end and poor at the other, as his tails were still connected in his meter. So as the saying goes..... Every day is a school day. Many thanks for all your help guys!

Reminds me of one I had once. Farmhouse renovation, with a supply to outbuildings and another supply to the house.
Wall with meter, etc. in farmhouse coming down, so supply to be removed, and house fed on sub main from outside.
Requested SWEB to attend and remove supply. Date agreed.
Date came and went by some weeks, contacted SWEB again, and they said the job had been done. Builders can do no more until wall removed, so ladder up the service pole, chop the service cable, remove it all and place meter, cut out, the lot, in a cardboard box.
Meter reader turns up, unfortunately when I wasn't there. Apparently, when presented with the meter in a box, he went bright purple with rage, danced around a bit, before storming off, vowing to have everyone involved prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Of course, we heard no more about the matter.
A few weeks later, the farmer asked me to attend some farm buildings he rented about three miles away. They had gone over there to shear sheep, and found there was no electricity. The reason was quite obvious. Meter, cut out, and service cable had disappeared.

Are you sure you disconnected the right flats tails at the supply end?

what is the cable type between plant room and flat? Curiosity.
I had a similar problem a year ago, although a little different.

I went to the meter room, switched off switched fuse, back up to the top floor flat, still had power! Tried it a few times, until I realised I'd gone into the meter room for the wrong block of flats ?.

No angry faces out of the window, so I got away with that one. Felt a bit silly.

In the early 2000's one apprentice came a cropper in some fairly local flats. They were local authority workers installing mains isolators for council flats. I don't remember the actual details but know he was working alone, with other electricians on site. There was some sort of confusion with supplies and one found him unconscious grasping cables. Awful business all round but it goes to show the definitive, when it comes to safe isolation.

Reply to Incoming tails problem, loss of power in apartment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net