Discuss Incorrect SWA glanding/bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just moved into a rented property and found the attached photo outside the conservatory. It spurs from an inside socket and goes down the garden to an outhouse. I've tried using the 18th edition to find some evidence that this is obviously the incorrect method, as I'd like to go to the agent with some good evidence.
There's also no RCD protection as the house has the old Wylex fuses.
Can anybody find something in the regs book that I could use? Is this even a pass on an electrical certificate?

Cheers all.

IMG_20191208_122621.jpg

That's incredibly poor workmanship section 526 Electrical connections

RCD is a requirement too since it is highly likely to be used outdoors too 411.3.3

Where is that "Earth" attached to the Armour going?

Makes you wonder why some folk even bother with SWA in the 1st place.

that is not just poor, it;s potentially lethal. needs disconnecting immediate,

The main switch is an rcd hard to make out if it is 30ma but probably is. Press the test button see if it trips.

It's not encased in wood, it's a metal board. It's the plastic boards of that age which had a wooden backing plate.
Oh I meant the closure around the entire incoming supply, not the ccu.
[automerge]1575834639[/automerge]
The main switch is an rcd hard to make out if it is 30ma but probably is. Press the test button see if it trips.
It's 100ma and yes it does trip everything.

Makes you wonder why some folk even bother with SWA in the 1st place.
At least the armour is earthed, that's not always the case!

the outside sockets must be protected by a 30mA RCD. There’s a 100mA, so that’s downright dangerous and does not comply.
I agree, disconnect until it’s done properly.

It is the Wylex WEM 80/2 100mA RCD (80A rated)
Thanks. As I said, that does not meet the (long required) need for outside sockets to be protected by a 30mA RCD. That should be provided on that garden SWA circuit too.
These days ALL circuits are required to have 30mA RCDs. The landlord may consider updating the whole fuse board. But regulations are not retrospective.

PS does your house have an earth rod somewhere outside with an earth wire connected to it?

I didn't think they were supposed to be enclosed in wood either, but could be wrong?
Whoever the muppet was that fitted the cupboard around the fuseboard did no think about the need to remove the front panel for maintenance!
A carpenter needs to remove sufficient wood to allow the front panel to be removed. No electrician will work on the installation without full access to the innerds!
Especially when/if landlord decides on an up to date consumer unit.
PS does the house have an earth rod somewhere outside with an earth wire connected to it?

Reply to Incorrect SWA glanding/bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net