Search the forum,

Discuss Info On Starting Up As A Sole Trader in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DANGER1984

Hi there guys,

Im new on here and just wondering if a few of you more experienced guys could give me a point in the right direction about starting up as a sole trader?

Im 17th edition with my 2391 test and inspection and mostly Ive done commercial/industrial work and did a bit of domestic new builds aswell. Im registered on the CIS scheme and have been doing work through agencies since I returned from Australia last year as my old company have went into adminastration.

I have a friend who has his own bathroom/kitchen fitting busines and he need an electrician for all these jobs aswell as a friend who runs a website for home improvements who could throw some work my way if I started up on my own. I have my own set of tools, test kit and van and have oppened a business account at the bank for future use. My girlfriend is in advertisement so would be able to help with that aswell, opened an account at a local wholesalers although its just for cash sales at the moment and I have my spare room with my computer phone etc. I think this is maybe worth taking the plunge with all this in mind, any thoughts would be apprieciated guys.

Questions I need help with are -

1. What requirements do I have to meet to sign jobs of with minor works, periodic inspection certificates etc?

2. How do I join the NECIEC or another body and can I work for myself before I get this?

3. Can I do commercial, industrial and domestic work together through one of these bodys?

4. Would I need any other qualifications to add to my 17th edition and 2391?

5. Am I still able to do commercial agency work if business is slow?

Sorry if this has been brought up before guys but its just peace of mind and help from guys that have done this already. Any input would be great, thanks

Any work you do on the commercial side is ok unless the customer asks for an installation certificate from the niceic etc you would not be able to issue those until you joined a scheme.

Domestic work you can still do them but as above if you are not part of a scheme you would need to inform building control before the job starts and pay your dues price vary but you would be looking around £120 + vat for a consumer unit change so not much profit left for you.

Your friend who installs kitchens and bathrooms most if not all of the work would be notifiable unless you were replacing like for like so best to be part P registered.

Best to ring the listed schemes as each one is different NAPIT I believe from other posts on this forum have their own version of the 2391 which they expect you to retake every 5 years, yet the qualification is for life!!!!!!!!!! so shop around and choose the scheme that suits you the best as for cost they are all about the same.

Best of luck

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, Im actually in Scotland so I dont think part p comes into it for me. Think its something more to do with building regs?

Do you not need to do 1 major and 1 minor job to join NICEIC or NAPIT? If so ho w can you do these jobs without being registered though?

Might be an idea to contact building control for the council you are doing the job in not sure on your set up in scotland.

A lot of people tend to do the notifiable job in their own home that way they omit building control when they pass a certificate is issued if they fail building control is notifed asap and job is listed as an emergency because we have to notify beforehand unless its an emergency.

Hopefully someone will clairfy the situation for you that knows your setup.

Good luck

Chris

Reply to Info On Starting Up As A Sole Trader in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net