Discuss Installing brick lights for the first time in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

alright guys im installing 9 brick lights outside ran 1.5mm armored to each point just picking fittings now any recommendations and tips on installing them

The best advice is to get the lights before running the cable then you can work out whether or not you can connect directly to the fitting of need another solution.
Then just hand the back box over to the bricklayers to build in to the wall. Come along afterwards and fit your lights

alright guys im installing 9 brick lights outside ran 1.5mm armored to each point just picking fittings now any recommendations and tips on installing them

How you going to enter 2 SWAs into 8 of the fittings and keep continuity of SWA (earthing)? i assume your're not going to run a cable to each fitting.

Alternative is to have a joint box (wiska?) on the rear of the wall, run SWA loop in/loop out and run a piece of flex (if situation allows) from the joint box to the light

If there are a few to go in , design them to be easily replaceable as they have been known to rot away.
I know you are fitting stainless , but make sure the back bodies are durable too.

Rot away and fill up with water in my experience. Most people want them fitted in flowerbed retaining walls or the like. They're not up to the task if fitted in that environment in my opinion so I strongly recommend something else to my customers.

Something IP44 rated can't cope with the moisture that is inevitably going to work its way through the flowerbed into the brickwork.

im sure they would as there outside lights? would only need a 20mm hole for the armored to connect to the fitting here are the lights / https://www.yesss.co.uk/light-fitti...-stainless-steel-frosted-polycarbonate-p25008

You'll be lucky to get one SWA into that without stressing the gland and compromising the seal.

It's not just the 20mm hole, you need space to push the fitting back in to the wall with enough slack to be able to pull the light back out when they have filled up with water.

the product is getting installed in a outside wall/flower bed 2 layers of brick so i can take out a section of the second brick behind so there is slack. il contact back with them now only just notised them being ip 44 thats pretty silly tbh il speak with them and see if they have fixings that are more water tight / swa compatible . hate the job already very stupid for what needs doing

Reply to Installing brick lights for the first time in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net