Discuss Internal or external isolation switch for aircon in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A good way to close the thread down anyway. Thanks very much to most of the people here who gave good advice.

I wasn't expecting to be thanked, so no disappointment on my part, but let me expand upon my thinking...

It's perfectly reasonable to explore options and try to find the best/cheapest/most elegant solution to a problem, but I found myself drawn to the number of suppositions being made about what might be okay and what the manufacturer's intentions might have been.

None one but you knew what your intentions were and none of us were in possession of very much information. Some of your suggestions may have been okay, but then again they may not.

I'm never entirely comfortable when someone wishes to extract information, while providing little in the way of detail. If I grasped the wrong end of the stick, then please accept my apologies, but a lot of people come here wishing to gain the answers they want to hear and don't heed much of the pertinent information that goes along with it.

Brings me on to my next question which maybe I should create another thread for but as far as I know this can be spurred off an existing 2.5mm ringmain that isn't overly used. The product spec says maximum running current 9 amps.

Normally you would not supply a load such as an A/C unit from a general use socket circuit. Normally a significant fixed load such as this would be installed on it's own dedicated circuit. However depending on your specific circumstances a competent person may assess this as being acceptable.

An additional consideration these days is that a modern A/C unit has the potential to interfere with the correct operation of any RCD (electric shock protection) protecting the socket circuit which could be quite a dangerous thing.

Nowhere does it mention it needs a dedicated circuit.

It won't mention what type of circuit it needs, that is up to the competent person responsible for the electrical work to decide, after all they will be the one signing the certificate for it.

Are you saying the manufacturer's instructions ask for 'a 16A fused spur' ??
No. The phrase used was I think a "circuit breaker". So I inferred from that the usual case would be a new dedicated circuit with a 16A mcb or rcbo.

I wasn't expecting to be thanked, so no disappointment on my part, but let me expand upon my thinking...

It's perfectly reasonable to explore options and try to find the best/cheapest/most elegant solution to a problem, but I found myself drawn to the number of suppositions being made about what might be okay and what the manufacturer's intentions might have been.

None one but you knew what your intentions were and none of us were in possession of very much information. Some of your suggestions may have been okay, but then again they may not.

I'm never entirely comfortable when someone wishes to extract information, while providing little in the way of detail. If I grasped the wrong end of the stick, then please accept my apologies, but a lot of people come here wishing to gain the answers they want to hear and don't heed much of the pertinent information that goes along with it.
Yes that's fair enough and given we don't know each other you've been as friendly as I could expect. I also understand potentially giving information out in isolation (if you'll excuse the pun), could be risky in itself. So IMO extra kudos to those who do it and no hard feelings for those that don't.

In general, I've found this forum to be a far better place for a DIYer than say gas which is arguably no more dangerous as they both can kill.

Now then, how to satisfy the requirements of a 16A protection without creating a new circuit.... :cool:)

The short answer is that you almost certainly can't whilst also complying with the wiring regulations.
Since the maximum advertised current flowing through it is 9amps (and presumably that includes start up) wouldn't a 13amp FCU satisfy them as that is more stringent (more safe) than the one in the manufacturers instructions. Or is the bugger gonna constantly trip if I do that

No. The phrase used was I think a "circuit breaker". So I inferred from that the usual case would be a new dedicated circuit with a 16A mcb or rcbo.

It wasn't

Thinking about it, if the spur was a fused spur at 16A and the entire existing circuit was protected at the CU with either RCBO (rated well above 16A) or global RCD, that would satisify the requirements?

but that's besides the point.

Rather than repeatedly fire off ideas in the hope that one might gain some measure of approval, it would have been much better to lay out the problem and ask what the best solution might be. Granted, this approach might not solicit the desired response.

After my last post I looked at your forum history and note that you avoid employing tradesmen due to previous bodges (fair enough) and make the point that "there are some people {DIYers} who really take the time to understand what is required and obtain the equipment necessary". Perhaps this is one of those occasions where it is indeed necessary to really take the time to understand what is required and not look for a quick fix that may lead to unforeseen problems. I base this comment on ideas you have mooted within this thread.

Since the maximum advertised current flowing through it is 9amps (and presumably that includes start up) wouldn't a 13amp FCU satisfy them as that is more stringent (more safe) than the one in the manufacturers instructions. Or is the bugger gonna constantly trip if I do that

I wouldnt presume anything, load current data doesn't normally include any startup/inrush current.

What type and rating of protective devices are protecting the ring circuit you want to connect this to?
Has this circuit ever been inspected and tested? Is it in suitably good condition for the proposed alteration?

For your nicebutDim benefit I double checked and yes it is the phrase used. "Circuit breaker".

Are you a qualified electrician or just someone who enjoys trolling? Asking lots of questions and providing zero help.

Your words were quoted verbatim and can be read in post #14.

I have no interest in arguing with you, nor of providing further information.

For your nicebutDim benefit I double checked and yes it is the phrase used. "Circuit breaker".

Are you a qualified electrician or just someone who enjoys trolling? Asking lots of questions and providing zero help.

He is a well respected member who has helped many people in the past. Judging by your posts I think he made the right decision in this case.

Be nice because it won't take much to ditch this thread.

I read back through some of their history and it was a series of similar threads, each looking for affirmation of a specific view. Wasn't intending to start a row, but those old threads, combined with a number of conflicting reasons for refusing to employ tradespeople, didn't sit well with me.

Reply to Internal or external isolation switch for aircon in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net