Discuss Is electrical design and testing mandatory for temporary structures? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is electrical design and testing mandatory?

Let me qualify this with "I know it is" The problem is I have a client who refuses to accept that any and all electrical systems need to be designed properly, installed, tested and commissioned according to the EAWR and BS 7671 and temporary structures (conference/expo sets, marquees, temporary buildings) actually come with more regs (BS 7909) not less and they cannot be put into service without being tested by a qualified electrician.

I invite you all to comment in the hope that advice many electricians is convincing when the advice of three have been ignored.

Thanks B

BS7671 and BS7909 compliment each other to ensure all installations are safe and fit for use.

But the overarching legal bit is EAWR, ask your client to explain how these installation fall outside the scope of the EAWR.

Is electrical design and testing mandatory?

Let me qualify this with "I know it is" The problem is I have a client who refuses to accept that any and all electrical systems need to be designed properly, installed, tested and commissioned according to the EAWR and BS 7671 and temporary structures (conference/expo sets, marquees, temporary buildings) actually come with more regs (BS 7909) not less and they cannot be put into service without being tested by a qualified electrician.

I invite you all to comment in the hope that advice many electricians is convincing when the advice of three have been ignored.

Thanks B
What do you mean Mandatory BS7671 IS NOT MANDATORY!!

Do not allow yourself to be drawn into doing work that you personally feel is unsafe.

EWAR is the one that will get YOU if there is a serious issue.

It may also get your customer but that would be of little consequence if you are locked up and they are fined.

after all the court will possibly believe there story about the contractor said it would be ok cause it was only there for a week.
they will not believe, that a qualified spark did not understand the risks involved and will grill you on why the installation was energised and not up to standards.

it can be a tough one, especially when dealing with an existing customer who pays well.
Bottom line, DO NOT let someone erode your professional integrity.

Yeah but testing is... according to EAWR

And yes... probably not a client we will actually work for... I don't want to go to prison.
Although BS 7671 is not Mandatory, to comply with EAWR which is, a legal document, all you need to do is to comply with BS 7671 which isn't, a legal document, to ensure compliance with EAWR. Need I go on and on?

Last edited:
@BrianM

Erm, wow.
thanks for the positive feedback but "funny"???? really?

IT WAS NOT meant to be amusing.

if I said what I was thinking, I could get myself banned.

please tell me that you clicked the wrong button, I cant see anything about being jailed as amusing.

@BrianM

Erm, wow.
thanks for the positive feedback but "funny"???? really?

IT WAS NOT meant to be amusing.

if I said what I was thinking, I could get myself banned.

please tell me that you clicked the wrong button, I cant see anything about being jailed as amusing.
Pardon, wasn't me that posted a funny

Reply to Is electrical design and testing mandatory for temporary structures? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net