Discuss Is there a protective cover for the 'BACK' of a dry lining box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cables run horizontally to the back of the cupboard where they drop down the gap behind the cupboard, with a bit of PVC tube inside the cupboard to protect the from knocks.
The socket will almost certainly be near the top of the cupboard so out of harms way anyway
Yup okay that would also work, prefer a metal box than a dryliner in this case though.

What about the MK boxes designed for going into skirting boards, heavier gauge of plastic than a standard dry lining box? Known as a flange box.

Last edited:
Okay joking aside mate, I have no problem with a socket in a cupboard, but think about a drylining box in the side with the wires entering the back and saucepans getting chucked in it? a bit different from a fixed socket on a non breakable box fixed securely inside, thats what I am trying to get at.

Right, I see where you are coming from now. If you had explained your concerns earlier on I would have understood.

I'm going to withdraw from this thread now as not having seen the job, I don't feel I have anything more to add. The original question has been sort of answered, it's up to the designer now to come up with a solution that offers sufficient mechanical protection.

Voltz.

Have done this a few times, single socket only, position the socket as far back in the cupboards side as possible using as much as the service void as possible and run cabling in the service void, fit a new hardboard back inside the cupboard covering the drylinning box and any exposed cabling, This way no unsightly box, no chance of future damage and only lose about 20mm depth off the back of cupboard.

Right, I see where you are coming from now. If you had explained your concerns earlier on I would have understood.

I'm going to withdraw from this thread now as not having seen the job, I don't feel I have anything more to add. The original question has been sort of answered, it's up to the designer now to come up with a solution that offers sufficient mechanical protection.

Voltz.
Valid point, fair doos.

Yup okay that would also work, prefer a metal box than a dryliner in this case though.

See my earlier comment about a metal box sitting flush in a cupboard side+ decor end panel.

If you are doing this in a kitchen as it is being fitted you get the kitchen fitter to put packets between cupboard and end panel, which creates a nice void for the cables and back box.

What Tel said.

I think he means the surface patress goes one side of the chipboard, the socket front goes on the other side of the chipboard.

The hole cut in the chipboard is slightly undersized so as to allow it to be trapped between the socket and back box.

I think that is what he means, and it's a really good idea.

Shouldn't have said that ... this forum's only just big enough for Tel's head as it is. ;)

Reply to Is there a protective cover for the 'BACK' of a dry lining box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net