Discuss Is this classified as a bathroom installation or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Duetto96

Hi guys,

I want to install a 400w heater element in my bathroom CH radiator. That radiator is mounted on a stud wall and on the other side of that stud wall is a bedroom. It is my intention to install a fused spur on the bedroom side of the stud wall. The heater element cable will run for about 75mm to the tiles on the stud wall and into the Spur unit on the bedroom side.

1. For the purposes of satisfying regulations, is this deemed to be a notifiable bathroom installation?
2. The socket I will spur off is already in the bedroom side of the same stud wall. Does it matter whether I run the spur cable inside the stud wall or under the floor?
3. I believe the spur switch has to be adjacent to the socket it is being spurred from. Are there restrictions on distance and height? ie Will the same height (300mm) and approx 90cm distance be ok.
4. I was trying to read Part P regs and it implied I should notify local authority before starting work. Did I read this right?
5. Anyone know what the typical charges are for notifying the local authority and getting them to test/check/certificate it?

Many thanks,

David

Because the "heater" is in the bathroom, this, IMHO means its notifiable. You'll need RCD protection too.

With respect to the costs a call to your LABC should reveal all but I suspect a registered Part P sparkie would probably work out less than you doing part and getting LABC involved.

Post your location and I'm sure someone here will be willing to pay you a visit and give you an estimate.

my local building control would charge £185notification fee for that sort of job. and we thought solicitors were rip-off merchants.

... So you want a heater in one room which is operated/isolated by a switch in a different room?
Would you expect to find that in a new house?

Reply to Is this classified as a bathroom installation or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net