Discuss Isolate Light to find Live Plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I certainly would not be happy if that had come into my personal sphere of work. I'd be wanting to kick some arse in one direction or another.
Put as many measures in as you like but there is no accounting for other people's actions.

If you have 239Volts lingering around it can't be safe to work on, isolate all supplies, if it is an EM fitting and has been wired as some suggest, then it could be thats how it was wired in the first place, if what you say is true and it has been passed by NICEIC, then look no further.Remember dangerous occurrences have to be specified under RIDDOR
As an edit point which I missed on the above post, the OP says he thinks it should be reported to the HSE, he has to be praised for finding this anomaly, but again the HSE are hardly going to act as in this case there were no injuries, however if the OP was injured (God forbid) the first thing the HSE would ask is was safe isolation of all supplies carried out? if the answer was a no then it would be th OP's fault for not checking. They don't take mistakes in safety practices, take it from me,I know what its like to be on the wrong end of one of their investigations.

Put as many measures in as you like but there is no accounting for other people's actions.
I don't understand what you mean by that. The measures put in place should have been installing to BS7671. This has clearly not been done and the installation left in a dangerous state with regard to maintenance.
Or are you saying ....... you can write as many rules in the regs as you like, but there's always some numpty working under a NICEIC banner waiting to put peoples lives at risk ?

It is a tricky one because you wouldn't expect the plug to be live, never assume anything I suppose.

I don't understand what you mean by that. The measures put in place should have been installing to BS7671. This has clearly not been done and the installation left in a dangerous state with regard to maintenance.
Or are you saying ....... you can write as many rules in the regs as you like, but there's always some numpty working under a NICEIC banner waiting to put peoples lives at risk ?
The latter, the numpty who decided to power up a second bank of sockets using a flex with a plug on either end who wasn't a spark at all, the manager of the shop saving some money, you know "oh I can do that".

Last edited:

Both Andy.

I don't really get this post. It is quite long winded now and I admit I have not studied it in anything other than a quick read through, however are we not forgetting some basic principals here? Lighting circuits, are responsible for killing more "electricians" than any other, apparently. Not sure where I read that but I can well believe it. I have witnessed in my time some unbelievably stupid setups done by previous "sparks" and DIY folks alike. Personally, if someone put a down-lighter in front of me now on my sofa I would look at it and think "i'll test that before I grab hold of it". I realise some plonka has probably done something really stupid that is worth reporting, but at the end of the day don't grab hold if it until you know its safe. I am always VERY wary of anything to do with lighting or lighting circuits, just a tip.

I would liken this to pulling out a 13A plug from an outlet then touching the pins to find them live.
The klix sockets are great for isolating lights for servicing or tube changing. This fault would havew caught me out!!!!!!!!

To the OP what actually made you test this? were the lights still lit?

Cheers Mykey
When I'd pulled the plug to isolate, the light was still on. (It can be seen in the photo)
The feed came into a jb, to a pir, to jb, back to the light, then flex to light plug.
The plug was live & used to back feed the socket, to feed the other lights!

Lighting circuits, are responsible for killing more "electricians" than any other, apparently. Not sure where I read that but I can well believe it.

If that is the case, it will be the Fall to the ground that caused the death.
And probably caused by completing a broken neutral path as well.

It's not far to fall if you're working on a socket or control panel.

When I'd pulled the plug to isolate, the light was still on. (It can be seen in the photo)
The feed came into a jb, to a pir, to jb, back to the light, then flex to light plug.
The plug was live & used to back feed the socket, to feed the other lights!

Good job the tubes had not gone then. I have been working on lights for the last few days all on clix and obviously up at height each light is on its own clix but I have seen them daisy chained in the past.

Is it for real voltage ?
Or a phantom or induced voltage ?
High input impedance testers can give eronious readings.
I would test it with a low impedance volt meter (analogue)
To be sure it really is live ?

Reply to Isolate Light to find Live Plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net