Discuss joining two feeds into one consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You clearly have no understanding of a triple-pole (three phase) distribution board and the requirements for its supply. It maybe possible to utilise the existing cables but they need to terminated in an appropriate manner and not something you should consider doing yourself it is way beyond your scope of ability. You say you have an electrician so I suggest get them involved to assess what you have and how best to proceed.

You clearly have no understanding of a triple-pole (three phase) distribution board and the requirements for its supply. It maybe possible to utilise the existing cables but they need to terminated in an appropriate manner and not something you should consider doing yourself it is way beyond your scope of ability. You say you have an electrician so I suggest get them involved to assess what you have and how best to proceed.
Just had meeting with Electrician and all is well. Thanks for all your input.

The dno will feed into a new meter box in the garage, this will feed a 3 phase distribution board.
From this:
Phase 1 will be connected to the house cu via existing swa.
Phase 2 will be connected to the existing garage cu.
A 25mm swa will feed the new workshop distribution board that will feed all the switched 3 phase plug sockets via 3x3 galvanized trunking and a ring main + lighting on phase 3.

My existing solar inverters will remain connected connect to phase 1 via existing swa to house cu.

I believe that I may be able to retain my house meter for reference so I can allocate the electricity cost proportionally between business and private.

One thing that may help me for neatness ( and yet to be discussed with electrician ). I would like to fix my metal clad sockets to the galvanized trunking and feed them from the back of the socket. I'd also like to do this with the 16A + 32A switched 3 phase sockets, I suspect they will be too big though. Any tips welcome.

Thanks

Greg.

The dno will feed into a new meter box in the garage, this will feed a 3 phase distribution board.
From this:
Phase 1 will be connected to the house cu via existing swa.
Phase 2 will be connected to the existing garage cu.
A 25mm swa will feed the new workshop distribution board that will feed all the switched 3 phase plug sockets via 3x3 galvanized trunking and a ring main + lighting on phase 3.

My existing solar inverters will remain connected connect to phase 1 via existing swa to house cu.

I believe that I may be able to retain my house meter for reference so I can allocate the electricity cost proportionally between business and private.

One thing that may help me for neatness ( and yet to be discussed with electrician ). I would like to fix my metal clad sockets to the galvanized trunking and feed them from the back of the socket. I'd also like to do this with the 16A + 32A switched 3 phase sockets, I suspect they will be too big though. Any tips welcome.

Thanks

Greg.

Sounds like your electrician has the info he needs and can plan the install then. Dont worry about the fitting of sockets, he'll know how to do that.

I am only putting up the trunking around the perimeter of the workshop. There are loads of options where to put it as the roof trusses are exposed and make a great network of supports. If the sockets can go on the back or side it will be a neat job. He'll tell me tomorrow at the site visit the best option.

Fix it to the wall perimeter for ease of installing circuits & future maintenance & access. You wouldn't want to be working on steps or ladders if can be avoided.
Would it be ok below the windows? There is no room above the windows, they go to the top of the walls. I'm worried about splashing coolant onto the trunking.

Now you are adding other issues as to the IP rating of Trunking which you will need to ask the manufacturer as not all may comply with Standards. At least IPX4 , now you are talking coolant, is this corrosive?

Now you are adding other issues as to the IP rating of Trunking which you will need to ask the manufacturer as not all may comply with Standards. At least IPX4 , now you are talking coolant, is this corrosive?
I thought higher would be better as the trunking at my factory is at least 10 feet high it does not get splashed. If I fixed it to the top of the perimeter wall it would go over the windows but I suppose it will be ok.

Good morning.

The dno can install the 3 phase meter box directly ouside the wall of my current meter which means that they can connect 1 phase directly through an existing hole in the wall and sort out the meter etc.. I'm very happy about this, nice and simple and neat.

For the rest of the property the Electrician has asked me to run a 16mm 3 phase swa for him to connect up.

The first run will be about 15 metres from the new meter box to a 16 way 3 phase distribution board, replacing the existing cu. This will service an existing large garage/workshop, pool heater system and a flat + family room ( man cave ) both above.

The second run will also be 16mm 3 phase swa for about 25 metres. This will run from the new distribution board to another 16 way board in the new workshop.

My question is.

From the new meter cabinet to the new distribution board ( the first run ) I will have 2 redundant 16mm single phase cables that are buried and run exactly the same as the 3 phase cable I have to install. These two swa cables are plenty long enough to connect from the new cabinet to the new distribution board.

You can guess the question - can I use one existing swa for 3 phases and the other for the earth and neutral.

Reply to joining two feeds into one consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net