Discuss Lathe & plaster walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

What do you do when the builder is being a cheap &@?! and won't pull them out?

I either chisel a bit out of the uprights or get a bit of wood that spans between both. Any other ideas that don't involve a 16mm back box?!

Multi cutter and the Marshall Tufflex deeper back boxes maybe. MT do some plaster board back boxes that are deeper and allow the two lugs to accommodate a thicker wall such as L&P. Standard plastic back box lugs allow around 25mm maybe, whereas the MT ones allow maybe 35mm.

Also I have cut the hole out so one side of the back box is flush with an upright and fixed into that from one side, and with a plaster board flange on the other.

Other than that I would cut into the upright as you have suggested.

See:https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP603.html

Last edited:
i dont like dry lining boxes, plastic crap and lath walls are really un-even from inside. usually is a cut with a multicutter (first diamond then wood blade)
fit some wood batten there, fix a back box, patch it up with plasterboard around then its a job for plasterer to finish the wall.
for switch boxes i stick metal back boxes to the inside of the wall with some bonding+cement.

If the plaster is 25mm thick [which it often is at least] you can sometimes just carefully cut out the old plaster with a pad saw then fix a metal box to the laths [although if not very careful they can split] or use long screws through the holes in the edges of the box, however these walls are a pain, surface boxes will work best if you can get away with it. :wink5:

I have been known to use a vast amount of expanding foam on the odd occasion, I generally as a rule try to avoid these walls as I know what they are like.

i dont like dry lining boxes, plastic crap and lath walls are really un-even from inside. usually is a cut with a multicutter (first diamond then wood blade)
fit some wood batten there, fix a back box, patch it up with plasterboard around then its a job for plasterer to finish the wall.
for switch boxes i stick metal back boxes to the inside of the wall with some bonding+cement.

I find the inside of lath walls are not uneven at all after a multi cutter has vibrated the siht out of the 80 year old dry crumbly base coat plaster!! :smile:

And sometimes reboarding and skimming is not an option for the customer unfortunately for us.

Last edited:
I use a multi tool to cut the hole out and then gripfill a piece of plywood (with a back box size hole cut out) behind the L&P. Then fit a deep drywall box.

just to educate some of the previous posters. lathe is what metal workers turn metal on. lath is what builders used to build internal walls with.

why not just use MK flange boxes, fitted hundreds of them with out a problem using 1" 1/2 6's. Cut the plaster out with a stanley knife then carefully cut the lath out.
i cut out both with a fein multitool.

Reply to Lathe & plaster walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net