Discuss Light Switch Inside Bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

GarryJ

-
Reaction score
Am I correct in saying that a light switch (or even a socket for that matter) can now be installed inside the bathroom as long as the circuit is protected by an RCD and also it is outside Zone 1?

Thanks for feedback

Not strictly, no.

If it is a standard plateswitch then it needs to installed outside of zones, i.e, outside zone 2 which is 600mm horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

That said I'm not keen on it at all, and it would be up to you to decide if it was safe or not. As I've said though, regs do permit it.

Very rare to see a pull-switch outside of the UK in bathroom/shower-rooms, even in countries that base there electrical regulations/codes on BS 7671. This may have a lot to do with housing being constructed of concrete framed with brick/block infill, and concrete floors and ceilings. In most circumstances the wall switch is located directly outside the bathroom door, but it's not uncommon to see wall switches in bathrooms either.

Same goes for socket outlets, they have been in European bathrooms forever...lol!! Same as they have in the USA. In both situations these socket outlets are protected by an RCD or in the case of the US, a GFI. In fact the US socket outlets in bathrooms are normally integral GFI outlets rated at 6mA.

Switch plates and FCUs can be sited anywhere outside of the zones.
The minimum IP ratings from the general Regulations are applicable.
Socket-outlets must be more than 3m from the boundary of zone 1 (the edge of the bath).
All low voltage circuits of the location must be provided with 30mA RCD protection.

I've overcome the problem entirely in my own house by fitting a ceiling PIR! It's actually a pretty neat thing because if you snooze too long in the bath then the lights go out for you.

I have highlighted this last week I was called out as the light switch was directly above the bath I asked the owner if it was our east european cousins who had the house before and he said yes how did you know that I said because they are the only ones that bang on to me that it is just stupid that you cannot have a light switch or socket in a 2metre by 2metre bathroom anyhow must not complain I got paid to sort it

Reply to Light Switch Inside Bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net