Discuss looking for a crimping tool for my purposes in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

auric

I only intend to use them one or two times, but last year I went for the cheapest available and the tools started splaying after only a day of use, becoming near useless. So I want to get something decent.

I need to crimp three things and I'm hoping to be able to do it all in one, without having to buy multiple tools, and not break the bank either. The things I need to crimp are:

1. 2.8mm width spade terminals/quick disconnects, insulated. I have some already, but they only fasten to 22 awg wire at most (or least): I am hoping they exist in a variety that can fasten to 24 or 26 awg wire, although my searches have been fruitless so far? That's not on topic though so if noone knows anything about that I'll start a new thread for it.
2. These.
3. These.

*EDIT: let's see if I've translated the jaron correctly: 30 to 24 awg open-barrel non-insulated, 28 to 22 awg open-barrel non-insulated, 24-26 barrel insulated

In addition to that perhaps being able to strip wire up to 26 awg.

Is there anything that fits the bill?

I think the two links you've given are for production terminals. They come on a roll of carrier tape and are meant for use with a high speed automated production crimper. I doubt you'll want to buy one of these because they cost a few hundred thousand quid and upwards;). I honestly don't know if they'll crimp with a standard hand crimper, I'd take a sample into a good tool wholesaler and discuss it with them.

I think the two links you've given are for production terminals. They come on a roll of carrier tape and are meant for use with a high speed automated production crimper. I doubt you'll want to buy one of these because they cost a few hundred thousand quid and upwards;). I honestly don't know if they'll crimp with a standard hand crimper, I'd take a sample into a good tool wholesaler and discuss it with them.

I don't think so; the retailer linked me to a tool (outside my budget) to use with them? And one of the links says "loose piece" and comes in as few as a hundred units...

Maybe they are available as loose items, I just looked at the pdf specsheet on the farnell site which showed them on carrier tape. Just out of interest what is your budget for the crimper?

Maybe they are available as loose items, I just looked at the pdf specsheet on the farnell site which showed them on carrier tape. Just out of interest what is your budget for the crimper?

It's not set in stone and I may have to readjust my expectations, but I am hoping no more than £30. I've seen some crimpers significantly less than that, with ratchet mechanism, that tick at least a few of the boxes, just not all of them, so i'm hoping it's do-able.

The whole venture was to save money anyway so it would defeat the point to spend too much on them.

Thirty quid might be a little optimistic. I'm trying to find an all-in-one crimper from a UK supplier that's looks reasonable quality and reasonably priced. Maybe this would work but I haven't got time to comb through the datasheets for the individual dies.

Thirty quid might be a little optimistic. I'm trying to find an all-in-one crimper from a UK supplier that's looks reasonable quality and reasonably priced. Maybe this would work but I haven't got time to comb through the datasheets for the individual dies.

Much appreciated.

*EDIT: are crimpers really temperamental when it comes to compatibility? Like is it make-specific or something? I only need something servicable. Needn't be tight against all the elements, just not come loose easily.

I said all-in-one because I assume it would work out cheaper, but perhaps not?

I've been eyeballing this for insulated and this one for non-insulated. No doubt i'm getting what I'm paying for, though. And that still leaves strippers, which I will be needing...

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, you're welcome. If the crimper looks like it will work for you then maybe shop around for prices as that was the first UK supplier I found. I've bought a couple of BM crimper kits for general use by the animals in our workshop and they've held up very well, they're by no means military or aerospace spec but I can vouch that they're not garbage either.

No problem, you're welcome. If the crimper looks like it will work for you then maybe shop around for prices as that was the first UK supplier I found. I've bought a couple of BM crimper kits for general use by the animals in our workshop and they've held up very well, they're by no means military or aerospace spec but I can vouch that they're not garbage either.

Well, I did come here with my question after a day of searching, so I'm not 100% sure if i'm looking at the thing I'm after. It's all rather new to me (I noticed that there were different crimpers for insulted and non-insulated terminals 6 hours into my venture, for example, which set me back). But no need to sweat it if you don't know off-hand what fits the bill. I find it strange that the cut-off point for both strippers and crimpers is often 22 awg when I want to deal in 24 or 26 awg wire.

I'll check the brand you mentioned. Thing is i'm willing to take a risk on some unrecognised product just to get some amateur work done and save money, whereas an expert doing this for the long haul will want to buy something built to last, so I don't know how many people have vetted the low profile products.

24 and 26 American gauge wire is very small. 22 gauge is 0.5mm square metric equivalent which is the smallest generally used size. The only time I see the smaller gauges is usually in special applications such as wire wound compensating inductors or motor/solenoid windings etc.

What are you planning to do with 24 and 26AWG wire that would need an open barrel type crimp?

24 and 26 American gauge wire is very small. 22 gauge is 0.5mm square metric equivalent which is the smallest generally used size. The only time I see the smaller gauges is usually in special applications such as wire wound compensating inductors or motor/solenoid windings etc.

What are you planning to do with 24 and 26AWG wire that would need an open barrel type crimp?

So I am the owner of this

rwj8.jpg

I believe (going by eye and by measurements) that the following products will go in that 9-way row of holes at the bottom and the 2-pin connectors in the bottom right of the picture, respectively:

#1, #2

The crimps I linked you to are designed to go into the crimp housing (link #2 and #3).

I don't even know for sure that these items I've singled out are compatible, but the measurements come up right.

I worked with 22 awg wire with my original attempt and I found it a touch cumbersome for my purposes. Also when I hold 22 awg wire up against those 9 contacts, it looks a hair too big, although it might connect there at a push.

So I am thinking maybe 24 awg wire would go directly to the board, to a block of screw terminals, then 22 awg wire go the rest of the way to the buttons (22 awg seems to be the smallest for the red spade terminals/quick disconnects which fasten to the buttons).

I am tempted to forego all this hassle and solder directly to the board, but I think I'll ignore that. I'd rather not do anything permanent to it because it's such a nice piece of kit and I may want to transfer it elsewhere in future.

Maybe I should take some of my questions to a forum where people work on joysticks (that's what this is--or rather, a 'stick-less' joystick), although I see no reason a general electricians forum wouldn't be as much or more knowledgable. :)

Auric have a look here VWP - crimping tools for non insulated terminals

i have a set of the PR4 crimpers for the Japan solderless terminals that do a good job, but the MP71's may suit your needs.

Thanks. But do you know if it has to specifiy that it is compatible with 'japanese connectors' for it to be compatible? Up till now I've assumed if it says 'non-insulated' 'open-barrel' then it will suit.

It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, so I'll keep on looking, but I'll keep it on my bookmarks.

Not sure if it will handle crimps as small as I hope to be dealing with?

Keep in mind I need them for insulated as well.

The two I've scouted so far are:
draper 35385 (crimps the red insulated terminals, 22 awg, and also strips wire up to 26 awg)

This brand-less one , it should crimp uninsulated up to 26 awg or higher (I think).

I'm not in a hurry so I'll keep browsing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to looking for a crimping tool for my purposes in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net