Discuss looking to re-train. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nmg

Hello Guys, I am thinking of taking an electrical course at able skills in Darford, Kent. I know one of these fast track courses is no substitute to time in the job and I wouldn't think I was an electrician after taking it, but I thought it would give me an insight into the job and help me onto the first step of the ladder. I am a 40 year old plasterer and for some years wanted a change in career. Just wondered if anyone had been on a course at able skills and any general feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks Neil....

I re-trained when l was 36 at my local college. Thought l knew everything. Discovered that l knew nothing.

Get some experience is my advice to you. Get the basic set of skills required and do whatever you can whenever you can and you'll begin to learn. Do a couple of jobs for people such as old ladies etc., (lightswitch change for the price of a cup of tea or something) Then ask her to recommend you to her friends/relatives. Word of mouth travels fast when you do something good

The majority of sparky firms will ask you about your experience. They did me. I told them l was qualified and had just left college. Unfortunately that was as much use as a chocolate kettle. They wanted some1 with experience.

Qualifications are only part of it im afraid... Hope that helps...

Sat my 2391 inspection and testing there when I finished my NVQ. There were a few guys on the course with me that had just finished an intensive course and seemed clueless. I'd go for an evening course and cover things slowly over 3 years or so, would definitely benefit more from it

I agree with you Harryb. There is so much to learn and to be honest its worth doing, in order to be safe.

One mistake is all it takes to be negligent with either yourself or some1 being injured or killed as a result.

Explaining seems to be the hardest thing you'll ever have to do.

For example trying to explain to Joe Bloggs who wants you to add a plug socket but has no main equipotential bonding and needs it or you cant proceed, will think that you are trying to cream him for work.

But without main bonding RCDs will not operate correctly in the event of an earth fault, or someone could be electrocuted by touching something a live extraneous part, e.g a radiator.

It's definitely worth doing properly. I wouldn't have a crash course given nor trust anyone who had done one. You dont get the time you need to study this subject properly with a crash course...

Actually RCD's have nothing to do with earth it's just current leakage that's not returning from line to neutral ;) lool

But yeah evening course all the way. You won't be able to relate to anything. When the lecturer waffles about something and says, you know the sheath of the SWA on your incoming supply Or the switch fused disconnector in the riser you have nothing to relate to and will forget what he said 2 hours later

Actually RCD's have nothing to do with earth it's just current leakage that's not returning from line to neutral ;) lool

But yeah evening course all the way. You won't be able to relate to anything. When the lecturer waffles about something and says, you know the sheath of the SWA on your incoming supply Or the switch fused disconnector in the riser you have nothing to relate to and will forget what he said 2 hours later

Thank you to everyone who has posted a comment and I appreciated all of them. I have taken your advice and looked at evening classes at my local colleges. who this course be my stating point? [h=1]City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Building & Structures) (2365-02) [/h]

Reply to looking to re-train. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net