Discuss Low voltage halogen equivalent??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agree with Andy78 - some people may be more susceptible to the strobe effect. This effect can be seen quite clearly when you are looking at the rear lights of a car which has LED lights - move your head from side to side quickly whilst looking at them nd you can see the effects of the high frequency drivers. (The LED drivers, not the car drivers :) ). Daz

Do they need to have them on constantly? Some 'down time' for the fittings would obviously help. How about on a dimmer to reduce loading for periods of time. Although I am not 100% as to whether the heat generated would be reduced much at a lower voltage.

I would expect there are some fittings designed for commercial installations that would run 24/7. Maybe call some manufacturers.

You said you tried a similar LED. How about a few different branded LEDs to see if any are acceptable to them.

If you can get LEDs which use a true/pure/ripple free DC supply then you won't get the flicker.
Depending on how much they are willing to spend it would be worth giving a company like photon star a call and asking if they can come up with a suitable driver for their eco600 down lights (which are the dogs danglies of LED d/l in my opinion) or similar. You might find the non-dim able driver with a high quality fitting like the Eco 600 doesn't strobe anyway (but I doubt it as they are all switch mode)

Failing that you could construct 12V linear DC supplies with LM7812s, a transformer and a couple of capacitors to supply MR16 LED lamps which shouldn't need huge transformers to be used.
I don't normally advocate the use of LED retrofit lamps like these, but in this case it might be the best solution.

It is possible to make linear constant current drivers too, but they won't have the efficiency of a switchmode jobby.

Last edited:

Reply to Low voltage halogen equivalent??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net