Discuss Lutron switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grant M

I have been asked to install some lutron dimmers. Do the switches need a neutral? The customer has handed them to me without any instructions. Currently there are standard dimmers in place, no neutral.

AFAIK they either work like an 'ordinary' dimmer or with systems such as the grafik eye they use a CAT5 cable going back to a central bank of dimmers.
Best off googling whatever information there is on the back of the dimmer.

Does the customer know what they've bought, or did they just buy them because they look pretty?

Are they Lutron Rania dimmers ?

If so they fit same as a normal dimmer perm live down to switch switched live back upto light , no neutral required .

Lutron keypads are part of the Lutron Homeworks Section and are run on 15 volt 4 core bus cable to central contriol processor not mains powered like the Rania dimmers

Cheers

I've been asked to fit Grafik Eye and Lutron tell me I have to use their cable from the Grafik Eye controller to the slave units at £160 per 150M.
Can anyone confirm this or can I use a cheaper alternative?

Hi Mate.

Yeah sounds like you installed the older Lutron interactive system which has now been replaced by the Homeworks Illumination system. If you go to Lutrons website www.lutron.com/ it has details about all components etc.

Cheers

Hi Mate

Other companys do their own versions of Lutrons 4 core bus cable but if you have any issues with the Grafik eye in the future Lutron will not stand by the warranty for the unit as their cable has not been used. One thing i dont recomend using is Cat 5E as it may work at first but it can give you problems down the line as you can get reflection down the mux 1 and mux 2 communications pair of the cable and gives you intermittent issues with the keypads ( speaking from experience with that one )

I've been asked to fit Grafik Eye and Lutron tell me I have to use their cable from the Grafik Eye controller to the slave units at £160 per 150M.
Can anyone confirm this or can I use a cheaper alternative?
no you can use Belden or other types of cable but none are "cheap" just dont use Cat5!! Belden 1502R or equivalent cable should be fine

And what is the final score with the cabling issue....Can we go elswhere,without voiding our installs...Quite ridiculous,if we cant,this day and age....

Reply to Lutron switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net