Discuss Main fuse query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Swimming pools don't need much power, unless someone was mad enough to have it heated electrically in which case a 3 phase supply is likely to be needed.

In the USA I am sure a higher capacity service is necessary, in the UK it rarely is for domestic use.
The general trend is towards reducing energy consumption so planning for the future shouldn't need a bigger supply.

I partially get the point, but at what point does planning for the future become a futile exercise?
A cost/benefit analysis is likely to show that the cost of the upgrade is high and the benefit zero.
Dave from what I understand she’s need a rewrite and I don’t know prices for materials but all your doing is going to 100 amps. I wouldn’t think 40 amps more and having some spares would be that much more expensive

Why do you think that? Electricity is horrendously expensive compared to other forms of energy. Three times as expensive as gas per KWh.
Because the British government are preparing now to stop, installing gas in new builds. Can’t remember the date, buts it’s recently been put back. Also as I said earlier EV is a big issue at the moment.

Dave from what I understand she’s need a rewrite and I don’t know prices for materials but all your doing is going to 100 amps. I wouldn’t think 40 amps more and having some spares would be that much more expensive
As stated by Rob in post #4, if the main incoming cable was not capable of merely upgrading the fuse, then the cable itself would have to be upgraded. This would likely cost many thousands of pounds to provide a service that is not needed.
We are talking about the fuse that protects the whole household that is owned and managed by the network operator, not just a case of adding spare ways in the fuse board to accommodate future circuits.

As stated by Rob in post #4, if the main incoming cable was not capable of merely upgrading the fuse, then the cable itself would have to be upgraded. This would likely cost many thousands of pounds to provide a service that is not needed.
We are talking about the fuse that protects the whole household that is owned and managed by the network operator, not just a case of adding spare ways in the fuse board to accommodate future circuits.
Rob I understand and don’t want to upset people. Remember all countries have their own rules to go by and from what I’ve seen and been through I encourage people to increase the amperage which might cost maybe a couple of hundred dollars counting the wire

I did not know. That’s why i asked
Can you state the reasons why future unknown and possible extra loading is going to require a sometimes expensive ( and also not necessarily guaranteed) upgrade by the supplier may be needed?

Unless you can,I would be tempted to find something else to spend my money on rather than taking a guess at predicting future loading requirements just because of a rewiring job
Liston I’m not predicting nothing in America and the NEC Must have different rules that y’all go by and if shes doing a total rewire why not while everything is cut loose and it would be much easier. Nothing stays the same forever

Interesting point here. The distribution network relies heavily on diversity but with the rise in EV charging this will bring important issues to light. What will happen to the network when the millions of vehicles on UK roads are plugged in to either a 3.7kw/7.4kw charger at roughly the same time? Will the entire network require upgrading?

Megawatt with the greatest respect, I'm sure the forum is not really interested in US electrics, this is a UK forum and we have totally different rules and regulations hence the reason nobody can relate to what you are saying.

Liston I’m not predicting nothing in America and the NEC Must have different rules that y’all go by and if shes doing a total rewire why not while everything is cut loose and it would be much easier. Nothing stays the same forever

Upgrading the capacity of the main fuse and supply for the house is nothing to do with a rewire or the role of an electrician in the UK.

It's not priced per amp!
The price can be anywhere from a couple of hundred pounds if it's as simple as having the fuse or cutout changed, to tens of thousands if they have to dig up the street and replace the cable.

Upgrading the incoming is supply from 60A to 100A single phase would be exactly the same amount of work and cost regardless of whether it is done at the time of the rewire or if no other work is happening at the same time.
It's a job for the DNO (I think in the USA you would call them the power company) regardless of when it is done.

If it was to be changed to a three phase supply then that may have a bearing on the rewire.

Reply to Main fuse query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net