Discuss max demand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
went to domestic job today where max demand was 236A (around 175A after diversity) main fuse is 100A so demand seems high to me...just wondered when you design what demand do you go to

went to domestic job today where max demand was 236A (around 175A after diversity) main fuse is 100A so demand seems high to me...just wondered when you design what demand do you go to

Did you try clamping the Line tail?
Domestic Diversity, do your calculations then divide the answer by at least 10! :)

Which of these do you think is closest to the actual current draw of an installaton ?

• the ratings of all the mcbs added together
  • the ratings of all the mcbs added together with diversity applied by the OSG method
  • the ratings of all the mcbs added together multiplied by the rule of thumb figure of 0.4
  • the rated total of all connected loads

Your clamp meter knows the answer...

50 amp supply from main to board to board in garage with 32 a ring ...6a lights...6a outside lights .....16a hot tub.....20a outside socket ...I know it wont use any near but thats what the design is..I didnt design it I just interested in design opinions

50 amp supply from main to board to board in garage with 32 a ring ...6a lights...6a outside lights .....16a hot tub.....20a outside socket ...I know it wont use any near but thats what the design is..I didnt design it I just interested in design opinions

So did the designer. Design includes diversity. How you choose to apply diversity depends on the way you were taught and your experience.....

Try it at home.
You can work it out in minutes from your statements or monitoring your meter for a week or so, you'll be amazed at low it is.
Unless you get HUGE bills all the time.

I average about 3 Amps max over about 18 hours a day.

Here's a example for you

If a 32 amp radial had 2 single sockets on it, and another 32 amp radial has 12 single sockets on it which one is the bigger load?

Sorry dillb. Thought you were having a blonde moment. Lol. Daz

Here's a example for you

If a 32 amp radial had 2 single sockets on it, and another 32 amp radial has 12 single sockets on it which one is the bigger load?

12 single sockets are much heavier than 2, so I'm going to say 12!
Re. thread, it'll be fine and you've got to think the designer knows it will. E.g for starters you can pretty much ignore what the smokes pull!

I just took a look at an Aico smoke I'm installing at the weekend. 0.8w. Now I'm putting 2 in so that's 1.6w, so 1.6/240= 0.006 (recurring) amps so let's call it 0.007.
I just saved you 5.993 amps mate :)

I got an owl meter from eddies recently.
my house pulls about 300-400w when there isn't much on.
that will be the fridges and freezer then.
most ive seen it draw was 4.5kw when the oven an induction hob were on
oven rated at 3.5kw and induction hob at 7.5kw.
nowhere near it.
I spoke to a engineer from sse recently who said the amount of commercial places wanting 100kw per phase supplies was unreal.
and when such supply is put in the install runs about 15-20kw a phase.
do sse up rate their substations and network cables to accommodate all these 100kw supplies
do they buggery.
its the same network that's been in for years.
most of the outgoing fuses in your local substation will be 400a.
630a at a push.
this will deal with a whole street.As archy says do the calcs and divide by 10 to get somewhere near real running loads

Agree with dcf - my house shows around 300-500W normally. Bit less when kids Playstation and stuff isn't on etc!

Maybe looking over the ''Similar Threads'' at the bottom of this page (All marked up with ''Max Demand'' as the title, or part of the title) will at the very least educate you a little, as to how you would go about initially assessing the max demand of an existing installation....

Maybe looking over the ''Similar Threads'' at the bottom of this page (All marked up with ''Max Demand'' as the title, or part of the title) will at the very least educate you a little, as to how you would go about initially assessing the max demand of an existing installation....
this must have been done ..what....a thousand times eng....you can keep on till your blue in the face about Max. demand & diversity....

common sense has to prevail here.....

Reply to max demand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net