Discuss Megger MFT1720 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Thought I'll make a new thread for this one.
Had some great advice from other members in there inc timhoward etc.

Someone is selling Megger MFT1720 for 200 pound without leads and without collab. But accepts returns.

Is this worth it ?

I was thinking of getting a collab myself done and if doesn't pass I can always return it.

Last edited:
If they actually will accept a return then probably worth trying. Just check how long you get to decide, as calibration might be several days depending on who/where it is done.

Do you have spare leads and a CalCard to do a simple check? Those are worth buying even if you get another MFT that has leads as they are "consumable" items with a relatively short working life.

The CalCard allows a sanity check on the low-R bond test and IR test. If you have a known RCD at home then trip-testing that and seeing if you get sane results to match is a quick check, as is a Zs on that socket, again to match your known approx value to see if anything is hopelessly out.

If they actually will accept a return then probably worth trying. Just check how long you get to decide, as calibration might be several days depending on who/where it is done.

Do you have spare leads and a CalCard to do a simple check? Those are worth buying even if you get another MFT that has leads as they are "consumable" items with a relatively short working life.

The CalCard allows a sanity check on the low-R bond test and IR test. If you have a known RCD at home then trip-testing that and seeing if you get sane results to match is a quick check, as is a Zs on that socket, again to match your known approx value to see if anything is hopelessly out.

No sorry mate I don't have calcard.
Should have pointed out I'm still studying level 2. I wanted a MFT to play around with get used to it etc. Do abit of learning on it.

PASS are in Leeds or Kewtech are in Doncaster. It’s more expensive than the typical wholesaler calibration day but I believe it’s a more comprehensive service where they can adjust the tester rather than just checking it is still within calibration. I think all of the manufacturers and various independent facilities offer a service where a courier will pick up your tester and return it fully calibrated a few days later so you’re not just limited to local companies.

I think you also need to send the mft with its leads so having two leads from another instrument isn’t going to suffice when they come to calibrate the three lead tests. Personally I would suggest buying a set of Kewtech leads for your mft. I think that they are more durable than the Megger ones and because they have standard 4mm plugs on both ends you can use them with accessories like the socket tester (instead of switching to another lead and re-nulling), light adaptors and the new Wago probes.

PASS are in Leeds or Kewtech are in Doncaster. It’s more expensive than the typical wholesaler calibration day but I believe it’s a more comprehensive service where they can adjust the tester rather than just checking it is still within calibration. I think all of the manufacturers and various independent facilities offer a service where a courier will pick up your tester and return it fully calibrated a few days later so you’re not just limited to local companies.

I think you also need to send the mft with its leads so having two leads from another instrument isn’t going to suffice when they come to calibrate the three lead tests. Personally I would suggest buying a set of Kewtech leads for your mft. I think that they are more durable than the Megger ones and because they have standard 4mm plugs on both ends you can use them with accessories like the socket tester (instead of switching to another lead and re-nulling), light adaptors and the new Wago probes.

Thanks you

I appreciate that. I'll look into buying some leads and book it in for a colab.

Reply to Megger MFT1720 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net