Discuss Meter tails from outside?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It may of helped if you put the plan up in the first place. You could see the situation but your description in #1 gave the assumption the CU was behind the intake. Can this be now kept civil @Peter1891 .
I am being civil, what’s the difference between me not agreeing with daves responses and his passive aggressive tone he displays Constantly towards me?

I am being civil, what’s the difference between me not agreeing with daves responses and his passive aggressive tone he displays Constantly towards me?
Several posts have been deleted as you were not being civil. @davesparks responded with the assumption the CU was on the reverse side of the intake, everyone made this assumption and couldn't understand the difficulty of this. If your opening post had clarified the situation with your later schematic then assumptions would not have been made.

To move the subject back to the underlying problem, how about another suggestion:

Use 3 parallel runs of 3-core 10mm SWA. Will meet the bend radius going through brick and round cavity, easy to route through said cavity, all can be glanded to a plate / CU back. As strands add up to less than 35mm of equal stand-size (ferrule crimped on to guarantee they don't separate is optional), should be fine in any standard cable clamp arrangement.

Discuss...

Several posts have been deleted as you were not being civil. @davesparks responded with the assumption the CU was on the reverse side of the intake, everyone made this assumption and couldn't understand the difficulty of this. If your opening post had clarified the situation with your later schematic then assumptions would not have been made.
So daves passive aggressive responses are fine you’re saying? Only so I know for future. I can’t tell someone they’re a idiot but I can do it quietly and make them feel crap is what you’re saying then? Surely these forums should be to help people. How does daves “JUST DRILL A HOLE” comment help at all?

How does the supply get up into the meter cabinet? Just wondering if you can use a similar route down from the cabinet, underground and up into the garage? All this assumes it is not far too late in the day!

Use 3 parallel runs of 3-core 10mm SWA. Will meet the bend radius going through brick
In fact 2 runs of 10mm SWA, or 3 runs of 6mm SWA, would exceed 100A rating. Could even be 2-core SWA and use the armour for CPC if properly glanded at both ends.
[automerge]1594242261[/automerge]
If viable, SJD's suggestion is simple and a very good solution!

The line that’s marked WG10 is the garage up and over door..I’ve marked the CU and the meter cupboard

Well that's a terrible bit of design by somebody. In the past I have dealt with this kind of stupid design by bringing it up at a site meeting with the architwat etc and explaining exactly why it's wrong, what I think of it, and getting it fixed.

As I suggested earlier, you could chase the tails into the study wall and protect them with 1/4" steel plate, and probably earth it too just for good measure.

Alternatively you might be able to do it with a 32mm steel conduit chased in, but that's a lot of aggravation to bend, thread etc for a short run.

If you've got the builders on side then get a couple of blocks taken out on the inside skin and run a suitable duct through the cavity.
[automerge]1594242690[/automerge]
To move the subject back to the underlying problem, how about another suggestion:

Use 3 parallel runs of 3-core 10mm SWA. Will meet the bend radius going through brick and round cavity, easy to route through said cavity, all can be glanded to a plate / CU back. As strands add up to less than 35mm of equal stand-size (ferrule crimped on to guarantee they don't separate is optional), should be fine in any standard cable clamp arrangement.

Discuss...

For me that fails the KISS test, its not keeping it simple.

Whilst it is theoretically OK, in practice it would likely be a pain and is somewhat of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Last edited:
So daves passive aggressive responses are fine you’re saying? Only so I know for future. I can’t tell someone they’re a idiot but I can do it quietly and make them feel crap is what you’re saying then? Surely these forums should be to help people. How does daves “JUST DRILL A HOLE” comment help at all?
Don't worry about it, mate. The more info given the better....but you'll always get plenty of presumption. People see things in their mind.....and just know. Human bleedin' nature, eh?:rolleyes:

I knew what the OP meant originally, don't why but I did. Guess I'm just special :) . Not been able to read the OP's deleted posts, but @davesparks, whilst being very knowledgeable, can come across very obtuse and curt sometimes. Could you perhaps be less abrasive Dave, like it says in the reply box, being polite & professional.

I knew what the OP meant originally, don't why but I did. Guess I'm just special :) . Not been able to read the OP's deleted posts, but @davesparks, whilst being very knowledgeable, can come across very obtuse and curt sometimes. Could you perhaps be less abrasive Dave, like it says in the reply box, being polite & professional.

thanks mate,
I sorted the problem Today, I had a site meeting and the builder has agreed to move the Meter box inside the garage and directly under the CU so all good now.
Thank you all for your helpful comments and ideas on the whole. ????

That's good, but I was going to say that it was screaming out for MICC. Small, accurately formable to a tight bend radius, etc.

MICC is outwith the skillset of most domestic sparks. Myself included.
I haven't done any meaningful pyro work since I was an apprentice 20 odd years ago.
Even then I wasn't great at it.
I would think SWA is within the skillset of just about everyone and if it's a new build a route could be found.

Reply to Meter tails from outside?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net