Discuss Moving 3 flats electric meters in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andybenw

First can I ask MODs not to move this to the DIY forum as I do not seem to get answers from sparkies there.

I am in the following position. (for those who have seen my previous thread all 3 flats are now agreed to the move). 3 phase cutout is to be moved from indoors in cellar to outdoors. I have had an NICEIC sparks round and he has suggested cable tray in cellar and 3 SWA 16mm runs linking new position to old. A second sparks at first wanted to upgrade everything to 17th edition but in the end came to the same conclusion as the first when he realised my fusebox would not be moving. I've also had someone round to quote for groundworks to uncover SEPD's cable.

My question now is how many meter cabinets would be appropriate. Would 1 large cabinet be able to accomodate 3 phase cutout, meters and switchfuses. Or would I be looking at 4 cabinets as in 1 for cutout and 3 seperate meter cabinets for each flat. Who would have the final say, SEPD, meter companies(not the same for each flat), or will they accept whatever is there as long as everything can be fitted. I do realise I should have asked the sparks who came round but with us being down in the cellar I kind of forgot. One box would be ideal obviously for keeping all tails internal, but I am struggling to see a cabinet online that would be of appropriate size.

Second question is(again I know I should've asked), is this work notifiable as its merely re-routing of supplies and the installations to the 3 flats willremain the same??

First can I ask MODs not to move this to the DIY forum as I do not seem to get answers from sparkies there.

I am in the following position. (for those who have seen my previous thread all 3 flats are now agreed to the move). 3 phase cutout is to be moved from indoors in cellar to outdoors. I have had an NICEIC sparks round and he has suggested cable tray in cellar and 3 SWA 16mm runs linking new position to old. A second sparks at first wanted to upgrade everything to 17th edition but in the end came to the same conclusion as the first when he realised my fusebox would not be moving. I've also had someone round to quote for groundworks to uncover SEPD's cable.

My question now is how many meter cabinets would be appropriate. Would 1 large cabinet be able to accomodate 3 phase cutout, meters and switchfuses. Or would I be looking at 4 cabinets as in 1 for cutout and 3 seperate meter cabinets for each flat. Who would have the final say, SEPD, meter companies(not the same for each flat), or will they accept whatever is there as long as everything can be fitted. I do realise I should have asked the sparks who came round but with us being down in the cellar I kind of forgot. One box would be ideal obviously for keeping all tails internal, but I am struggling to see a cabinet online that would be of appropriate size.

Second question is(again I know I should've asked), is this work notifiable as its merely re-routing of supplies and the installations to the 3 flats willremain the same??

You want one external meter box with space for three single phase meters , DNO will specify and assist you with what box you require. You can then run from here, 3 switch fuses in cellar (as flats will be too far way from cut out) and then SWA on to your three flats as your spark has already suggested.

You want one external meter box with space for three single phase meters , DNO will specify and assist you with what box you require. You can then run from here, 3 switch fuses in cellar (as flats will be too far way from cut out) and then SWA on to your three flats as your spark has already suggested.

Cheers for that answer Meggerman. I can see the space saving benefits of siting the switchfuses inside the cellar. The cutout and meters installed at present are very large and would not fit into a standard box. Also flat 3 currently has 2 meters and timeswitch.

Am I correct in assuming that new small type meters would be installed and that cutout would be smaller. Also would 1 meter be fitted for flat 3 or would they still need 2 plus timeswitch. I have attached a photo to show the size of cutout and meters we have at present. Much of it is redundant from former economy 7 for 2 flats.

20140118_112414.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Here is a picture of the set up as it should be. Note the dimension of 400x400 required for each meter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for that Sintra. Certainly the meter boxes I have looked at will not accomodate that. Would you think it might need to go indoors or are there large enough boxes available.

I have had a quote from an NICEIC sparky. He has specified 16mm 2 core SWA for the 2 single phase runs, and 4 core SWA for the timeswitched single phase run. This will be surface mounted on cable tray in the cellar. On his quote theres no seperate earth and also no switchfuses. Do I need to query him?

Sorry for 3 posts but I keep thinking of things. Will he have to notify this job to building control, and should I expect to recieve certification on completion?

Maybe he is running 16mm 6491X alongside SWA's, but you would need the clarify that. The SWA sheath is not sufficient as earthing conductor on this earthing arrangement. And yes, you should be issued EIC and it is notifiable which will be no problem for your registered sparky.

Cheers Meggerman. I queried him and he replied the SWA armour will be the earth, also he will supply an EIC. I had another sparks round today, so I'll see what his plan is. He seemed a little bit more informed, was talking about bringing tails indoors to switch fuses as you mentioned in a previous post for example. Having looked into it a bit more, he is talking about using 4 core for the timeswitched run and I think the armour of this will cope with the earthing requirements. The second sparks also seemed to think they might be inclined to move current meters rather than swap for new. If this is the case I'm probably gonna need about 3 external boxes to fit it all in.

Reply to Moving 3 flats electric meters in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net